Have you ever eaten preserved salsify? When you make them on the Big Green Egg, this delicious side dish will undoubtedly become one of your favourites. The mild nutty flavour of the vegetables is magical, particularly when you cook them on your kamado. Serve them, for example, with a beautiful rack of venison with mushrooms and cranberry compote when you want to steal the show.
- 250 ml milk
- 500 g salsify
- 500 g goose fat
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid, to a temperature of 140°C. Mix the milk with 250 millilitre water in a container.
- Peel the salsify and cut each one into four equal-size pieces. Place the pieces in the milk mixture to prevent the salsify from discolouring. Preferably wear latex gloves when peeling the salsify since the juice from the salsify is difficult to remove.
- Melt the goose fat in the round Green Dutch Oven. Place the salsify in a colander and allow to drain.
- Add the salsify to the goose fat and let them cook approximately 20 minutes so that the salsify are al dente. Remove the salsify from the goose fat and set aside. Remove the grid and the convEGGtor and replace the grid. Put the Cast Iron Skillet on the grid and bring the temperature to 180°C.
- Add the salsify with accompanying fat to the skillet and fry them for a few minutes until they begin to brown.
- Sprinkle the salsify with salt and pepper and serve.
If you want to serve the preserved salsify with the rack of venison, then cook the vegetables in the goose fat first. When the rack of venison is resting, you can then fry the salsify.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?