Rack of venison with mushrooms and cranberry compote
A rack of venison from the Big Green Egg looks beautiful on the table, but you make it completely spectacular by tying the rack into a real crown. We will explain to you in this recipe exactly how to do this, along with a good stuffing and delicious cranberry compote to serve with the venison. Complete your meal by also making stewed pears, braised red cabbage, braised carrots, braised shallots and hasselback potatoes on your kamado.
RACK OF VENISON
- 1 rack of venison with 8 ribs
- 100 g trompette des morts mushrooms
- 100 g chanterelles
- 1 cevenne onion (sweet white onion)
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary + 1 rosemary tip
- 2 tbsp unsalted pistachio nuts (shelled)
- 100 g pork suet
- 2 tbsp butter
- 100 g cranberries
- 50 g granulated sugar
- 50 ml crème de cassis
- 2 star anise
- 1 stick cinnamon
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Stainless Steel Grid, to a temperature of 180°C.
- In the meantime, remove any membrane and irregularities from the rack of venison. Scrape the meat from the membrane and any scraps and chop finely. Set aside.
- Scrape clean the bones on the rack of venison. Sprinkle the rack with salt and pepper and bind the rack, with the filet side facing inside, so that the bones are on the outside, creating a type of crown.
- Gently wash the mushrooms in lukewarm water. Let them dry thoroughly on a clean kitchen towel. Peel and finely dice the onion and garlic. Remove the leaves from one sprig of thyme and the needles from the rosemary tip and chop finely. Roughly chop the pistachios. Cut the pork suet into .5 cm cubes.
- Heat the butter in the Small Cast Iron Skillet on the grid. Add the onion, garlic and herbs and fry until the onion is translucent. Add the mushrooms and finally the pistachio nuts and allow to cool.
- Remove the grid, place the convEGGtor and replace the grid. Reheat the EGG to a temperature of 180°C. In the meantime, heat the Cast Iron Sauce Pot on the grill. Add all of the ingredients for the compote, close the lid of the EGG and cook for 20-30 minutes until the compote is syrupy.
- Mix the cooled mushroom mixture with the finely chopped meat and the pork suet and add salt and pepper to taste. Shape the mixture into a ball and press it into the middle of the venison crown.
- Remove the compote from the EGG and set aside. Heat the EGG to a temperature of 140ºC. 5. Place the Small Cast Iron Skillet on the grid and place the remaining sprigs of thyme and rosemary inside. Place the filled venison crown in the skillet and push the Dual Probe Remote Thermometer into the core of the meat. Set the core temperature to 52°C. Close the lid of the EGG and leave the venison crown to cook for 30-40 minutes until the set core temperature has been reached.
- Remove the venison crown from the EGG and allow to rest for about 10 minutes. In the meantime, you can allow the compote to heat to lukewarm. You can also serve the compote at room temperature with the venison crown.
- Cut the venison crown into nice cutlets and serve with the cranberry compote.
What can you serve with the filled rack of venison with cranberry compote? Choose from stewed pears, braised red cabbage, braised carrots, braised shallots, hasselback potatoes from the Big Green Egg or any combination.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?