Watermelon dream Secco
You can turn any event into a party with bubbles and your Big Green Egg. Both of these come together in this summer cocktail recipe with watermelon grilled on your kamado – and the result is a particularly sparkling cocktail. Would you like a delicious snack to go with it? How about mini pizzas with pesto, goat cheese & roasted peppers ? You can eat them with your hands, which makes them ideal for a party.
- ½ watermelon (approx. 400 g)
- 100 g fine granulated sugar
- 1 lime
- 100 ml Limoncello
- 1 750 ml bottle of Secco rosé
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat to 170°C. Meanwhile, cut the watermelon into wedges of approx. 2 cm. For the garnish cut 3 nice wedges and cut them in half again so that you have 6 wedges of approx. 1 cm; store them in the fridge. Cut the skin off the rest of the watermelon wedges.
- Sprinkle a handful Apple Wood Chips on to the charcoal embers and place the convEGGtor and the Cast Iron Grid. Place the watermelon wedges on the grid and close the lid of the EGG. The temperature of the EGG will drop to about 130°C. Smoke and grill the watermelon at this temperature for about 30 minutes; turn the watermelon over after about 15 minutes.
- Remove the watermelon wedges from the EGG and cut them into chunks. Leave to cool and place them in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the granulated sugar on a saucer. Halve the lime. Rub 1 half over the rim of 6 large wine glasses and dip them in the sugar so that the glasses have a nice sugar rim. Set the other half of the lime aside.
- Cut the lime half that you set aside into 6 wedges.
- Purée the smoked watermelon with a hand blender and rub the purée through a sieve. Mix in the Limoncello.
- Place a lime wedge in each glass. Divide the watermelon mixture over the glasses and pour in the rosé. Garnish with one of the watermelon wedges you set aside before and place a pretty straw in each glass.
- In addition to the mini pizzas with pesto, goat cheese & roasted peppers that can be served with this cocktail, it might also be fun to make some tasty watermelon skewers from the other half of the watermelon that you did not use for this recipe. Cut the remaining watermelon into cubes of about 2 centimetres. Thread them on skewers and grill them for about 1.5 minutes on the Cast Iron Grid or the Cast Iron Satay Grill. Turn the skewers a quarter turn and grill for another 1.5 minutes. Turn the skewers over and grill this side for about 3 minutes, turning them a quarter turn after 1.5 minutes for a nice grill pane.
- It might be a nice idea to put some macadamia nuts and thin slices of dried ham on the table during a party. This way, you will already have something to snack on while preparing the party snacks on your Big Green Egg.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?