Smoky chicken wings
These delicious smoked chicken wings are the ideal snack to accompany drinks, especially when you have a lot of people over. They take a while to prepare because you first brine the chicken wings for three hours and then let them dry for another hour. This ensures extra juicy results and a nice crispy skin. Thanks to the 2-Piece Multi Level Rack, a special adjustable-height grid for your Big Green Egg that is sold separately and is part of the popular 5-Piece EGGspander Kit, you can easily expand the capacity of your EGG so you can cook lots of chicken wings at the same time.
- Peel and chop the onion for the brine. Halve the bulb of garlic crosswise. Finely chop the ginger. Cut the sprig of rosemary into pieces.
- Heat 200 millilitres of water with the sea salt until the salt is dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat, pour in 800 millilitres of cold water and add the remaining ingredients for the brine. Leave to cool completely.
- Place the chicken wings in a bowl and pour in the brine; make sure the chicken is completely submerged and leave to brine in the fridge for 3 hours.
- Remove the chicken wings from the brine and pat dry with kitchen paper. Place them on a tray and place uncovered in the fridge for 1 hour to dry the chicken wings.
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat to 150 °C. Place the convEGGtor in the convEGGtor Basket, place the Stainless Steel Grid on top of it and insert the 2-Piece Multi Level Rack.
- Remove the chicken wings from the fridge and sprinkle with the rub. Place them in a single layer on the grids. Place two small apple Wood Chunks on the glowing charcoal and place the convEGGtor Basket with the chicken wings in the EGG. Close the lid and let the chicken smoke for about 60 minutes. The temperature will drop to around 100 °C; maintain this temperature.
- After 60 minutes, raise the temperature of the EGG to 140 °C and continue cooking the chicken wings for about 30 minutes.
- Brush the chicken wings with the barbecue sauce and raise the temperature of the EGG to 180 °C. Cook for another 30 minutes or so, brushing with barbecue sauce every 10 minutes.
- Remove the smoky chicken wings from the EGG and serve on an attractive platter.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?