Salmon bonbons smoked on cedar wood
‘Smoked salmon from the Big Green Egg is a real hit. For example, you can smoke a whole salmon side or make these delicious salmon bonbons. Marinate the salmon cubes for 2 hours in a delicious soy-sauce based marinade. Then put the salmon on a soaked cedar smoking plank on the grill of your kamado The smoking plank will protect the salmon from the direct heat of the charcoal, giving a subtle hint of flavour and, last but not least, also ensure your salmon bonbons are nicely presented. You can take it from us, once you’ve tasted this dish you’ll keep on making it!
- 400 g skinless salmon fillet (loin)
- 2 spring onions
- 1 red Spanish chilli pepper
- 1/3 lime
- 2 sprigs of coriander
- 100 ml Tomasu soy sauce
- 1 tsp wasabi paste
- 10 slices of pickled ginger (gari, toko)
- 1 tbsp kewpie mayonnaise (toko)
- Cut the salmon fillet into 10 similar-sized cubes. Cut the spring onions into thin rings. Remove the stem and seeds from the chilli pepper and cut it into thin rings. Cut the lime into slices. Pick the leaves from 1 coriander sprig and chop them finely.
- For the marinade, mix the soy sauce and the wasabi paste. Keep 10 rings of the spring onion and the chili pepper separate (keep these in the refrigerator) and mix the rest with the lime slices and the the finely chopped coriander with the marinade. Roll the salmon cubes through the mix and leave them to marinate in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Soak the Wooden Grilling Plank in plenty of water for at least 30 minutes. Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the grid, to a temperature of 170°C.
- Dab the grilling plank dry and put the salmon cubes on it. Place the plank on the grid and close the lid of the EGG. Allow the salmon to smoke for 8-10 minutes, until it reaches a core temperature of 55 °C; you can measure this with the Instant Read Digital Thermometer. In the meantime, pluck the leaves from the second sprig of coriander and slice them into thin strips. Leave the slices of ginger to drain.
- Remove the grilling plank from the EGG and squirt the mayonnaise over the salmon. Garnish with the chilli pepper, spring onion, pickled ginger and coriander.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?