The best BBQ sauce ever
If you have a kamado, making fresh BBQ sauce is one of the basics. This recipe yields a result unlike anything you’ve ever tasted before. Everyone will be blown away. So ignite the charcoal in your Big Green Egg, make preparations and 30 minutes later, you will have made the best homemade barbecue sauce ever.
- 2 shallots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ red Spanish chilli pepper
- 1 stalk of lemongrass
- 2 cm fresh ginger
- 4 balls of stem ginger
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder (sweet)
- 1 tsp ground mustard seed
- 1 tsp green cardamom pods
- 4 star anise
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 200 ml pear juice
- 500 ml ketchup
- 2 tbsp sushi vinegar
- 1 tbsp black pepper sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the grid, to a temperature of 170°C.
- Meanwhile, peel the shallots and the garlic. Dice the shallots and finely chop the garlic. Remove the stem and seeds from the chilli pepper and crush the lemon grass. Cut the ginger and the stem ginger into slices.
- Heat the olive oil in the Green Dutch Oven on the grid. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until the shallots are translucent.
- Stir the dry spices (curry powder, paprika powder and mustard seed) into the shallot mixture and fry for approx. 2 minutes until the spices become fragrant.
- Stir in the cut ingredients (red chilli pepper, lemon grass, ginger and stem ginger), the sea salt, the brown sugar and the tomato purée and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the liquid ingredients (pear juice, ketchup, sushi vinegar, black pepper sauce and Worcestershire sauce) and add the cardamom pods and star anise. Remove the pan from the EGG. Remove the grid, sprinkle a handful of Cherry Wood Chips on the charcoal embers and place the ConvEGGtor. Replace the grid and put the pan back on it. Close the lid of the EGG and heat to 120°C. Let the sauce simmer for about 20 minutes until it reaches the desired thickness.
- Sieve the BBQ sauce and scoop it into a clean container that can be closed. Let cool and close the container.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?