Venison stew with root vegetables
You’ve probably made a delicious goulash, hash, or other beef stew in your Big Green Egg before. Want to try something different for once? Then light the charcoal in your kamado to make this delicious venison stew with root vegetables. Grill the meat first before adding it to the stew. That will give this special stew even more flavour.
- 2½ kg venison topside, skinned
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 15 juniper berries
- 4 bay leaves (dried)
- 2 star anise
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 2 kohlrabi
- 1 small celeriac
- 1 small turnip
- 2 onions
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 6 primal potatoes
- 2 leeks
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 750 ml red wine
- 2 tbsp apple syrup
- 600 g peeled mini carrot mix (or small carrots)
- 5 thick slices of gingerbread
- 4 sprigs of parsley
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat to a temperature of 200°C using the Cast Iron Grid.
- Meanwhile, cut the venison topside into slices of about 5 centimetres thick. Break the cinnamon stick into pieces and place in a mortar or coffee grinder with the juniper berries, bay leaves, star anise, black peppercorns, coriander seeds and paprika.. Rub or finely grind these seasonings to make a spice mixture.
- Sprinkle the venison slices with salt on both sides and then with the spice mixture.
- Place the venison strips on the grill and grill for about 2 minutes. Turn the meat a quarter turn and grill for another 2 minutes. Turn the meat over and grill for another 2 x 2 minutes. Close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Remove the venison from the EGG, place it on a platter and leave to cool slightly. Remove the grid and place the Stainless Steel Grid in the EGG. Bring the temperature to 180°C; in the meantime, place the oval Green Dutch Oven on the grid to preheat it.
- Meanwhile, peel the kohlrabi, celeriac and turnip, and peel the onions and garlic. Chop the vegetables and garlic into coarse pieces. Wash the primal potatoes and cut them into coarse pieces too. Cut the leeks into rings. Cut the cooled venison into cubes of about 2 centimetres.
- Pour the sunflower oil into the Dutch oven. Add the sliced vegetables, garlic and meatand fry for about 10 minutes. Stir from time to time, closing the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Deglaze the vegetables and meat with the red wine and stir in the apple syrup. Add some water if necessary; the vegetables and meat should be submerged. Close the lid of the EGG and let the stew simmer gently for about 30 minutes.
- Wash the carrot mix and add the mini carrots to the stew. Close the lid of the EGG and simmer for about another 15 minutes.
- Crumble the gingerbread slices and add to the venison stew. Close the lid of the EGG and simmer for another 10 minutes. Meanwhile, pluck the leaves from the parsley sprigs and chop them finely.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the Big Green Egg and add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle the stew into deep plates and sprinkle with the parsley.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?