Stew with king prawns, tomato and mung beans
When you think of king prawns, you might not immediately think of a stew because you don’t need to cook them for a long time. So, we made a vegetable stew in which the vegetables cook in a stock of tomato puree, white wine and the fried shells of these large prawns in the Big Green Egg. The king prawns themselves? You grill these on the cast iron grid of your kamado and add them just before serving.
- 16 unpeeled king prawns (size 6/8)
- 6 onions
- 12 cloves of garlic
- 4 celery stalks
- 1 fennel
- 12 tomatoes
- 2 red Spanish chilli peppers
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1x 140 g tin of tomato purée
- 750 ml white wine
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 300 g dried mung beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Farmhouse bread
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat with the Cast Iron Grid to a temperature of 180°C.
- Meanwhile, peel the king prawns and remove the intestinal tracts; keep the shells aside. Peel the onions and the garlic, and chop them, the celery,fennel and tomatoes into coarse pieces. Remove the stalk and seeds from the chilli peppers and cut them into thin rings. Put the king prawns and vegetables in the fridge until you need them.
- Heat the oval Green Dutch Oven on the grid. Pour the sunflower oil into the pan and add the king prawn shells. Close the lid of the EGG and cook the shells for about 10 minutes. Stir them occasionally during cooking and close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Add the tomato purée to the Dutch oven and cook for about 5 minutes to de-acidify the purée. Deglaze with the white wine, close the lid of the EGG and gently simmer the stock for about 50 minutes.
- Strain the stock and discard the shells; set the stock aside for a while. Wipe the Dutch oven clean, place back on the grid and add the sunflower oil, onion, garlic, celery, fennel, tomato andchilli pepper. Fry until the vegetables are glazed. Stir them occasionally during cooking and close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Deglaze the vegetables with the stock and add the mung beans. Close the lid of the EGG and let the stew simmer for about 20 minutes until the beans are al dente.
- After about 10 minutes, brush the king prawns with the olive oil and place them on the grid next to the Dutch oven.Grill the king prawns for about 2 minutes. Turn them a quarter turn and grill for another 2 minutes. Turn the king prawns over and grill for another 2 x 2 minutes. Close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the EGG when the mung beans are al dente and spoon the grilled king prawns through the stew. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with the farmhouse bread.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?