Want to try making goulash in your Big Green Egg with a Dutch Oven? This goulash recipe is packed with flavour! Before you stew the ingredients, you first grill the onion, pepper and meat on the cast iron grid of your kamado. This gives your Hungarian stew a more powerful taste. Watch this video to find out how to make this stew, step by step.
- 2 onions
- 2 red pointed peppers
- 1 kg beef shoulder
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- black pepper, to taste
- sea salt to taste
- 500 g mushrooms
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp Hungarian paprika powder
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 l beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of parsley
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat with the Cast Iron Grid to a temperature of 220 °C.
- Peel the onions and halve them lengthwise. Halve the pointed peppers and remove the stems and seeds. Drizzle the short ribs with the olive oil and brush over the meat. Season with black pepper and sea salt to taste.
- Place the onion, peppers and short ribs on the grill, close the lid of the EGG and grill for about 4 minutes. Turn the meat over after about 2 minutes. In the meantime, halve the mushrooms.
- Remove the vegetables and meat from the EGG and remove the Cast Iron Grid. Set up the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid and place the Green Dutch Oven on top to allow the pan to preheat. The temperature of the EGG will have dropped to 140 °C by installing the cold accessories. Maintain this temperature when following the rest of this recipe.
- Chop the grilled onion and pepper into coarse pieces. Add the butter to the Dutch Oven and fry the onion for about 5 minutes until translucent. Crush the garlic (in the skin) and add to the onion with paprika powder. Stir the flour into the onion mixture. Leave the flour to cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring from time to time. In the meantime, cut the grilled short ribs into coarse pieces.
- Add the pepper, mushrooms and meat to the pan and stir. Deglaze with the beef stock and add the bay leaves to the pan. Leave the goulash to simmer for about 2.5 hours until the meat is soft. Ensure that the temperature of the EGG remains around 140 °C.
- Pick the leaves from the sprigs of parsley and chop finely. Remove the Dutch Oven from the EGG, spoon the goulash into deep bowls and sprinkle with the parsley.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?