Wild duck with green cabbage, sweet potato and stewed pears
Are you planning to prepare game on your Big Green Egg? This recipe for wild duck enables you to easily prepare a complete meal on your kamado, full of ingredients that fit perfectly with the season and the flavour of the wild duck. You can make the accompanying stewed pears in advance. Enjoy!
- 1 wild duck
- 50 g butter, at room temperature
- 1 tip of sage
- 2 yellow carrots
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 purple sweet potatoes
- 1 white onion
- 100 g mixed mushrooms
- 50 g butter
- ½ green cabbage
- 4 Gieser Wildeman cooking pears
- 100 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 100 ml water
- 100 ml white wine
- 50 g granulated sugar
- 2 star anise
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 stick cinnamon
- Peel the Gieser Wildeman cooking pears. Add all of the ingredients for the stewed pears to a small saucepan and bring the pears to the boil; make sure that the pears are completely covered by the liquid. Reduce to a low heat and let the pears simmer for about 1.5 hours until soft.
- Remove the stewed pears from the heat and leave them to cool in the cooking liquid. In the meantime, ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor, a Disposable Drip Pan and the Stainless Steel Grid on top, to a temperature of 140 °C.
- Place the wild duck, breast side up, in the Small Cast Iron Skillet and rub it with the butter. Remove the leaves from the sage and finely chop them. Sprinkle the duck with the sage and salt and pepper to taste. Peel the yellow carrots and place them on a large piece of aluminium foil. Sprinkle with the olive oil and pepper and salt to taste. Wash the sweet potatoes and pat them dry.
- Place the skillet containing the duck on the grid and place the package with carrots and sweet potatoes next to it. Push the Dual Probe Remote Thermometer into the core of the duck breast. Close the lid of the EGG and set the core temperature to 50 °C. Let the duck cook approximately 30 minutes until this temperature has been reached.
- In the meantime, peel the white onion and cut into half rings. Clean the mushrooms. Cut the butter into small cubes and the green cabbage into large pieces.
- Remove the duck from the skillet when the set core temperature has been reached. Place the duck on a plate. Bring the temperature of the EGG to 170°C.
- Add the onion, mushrooms and butter cubes to the skillet and close the lid of the EGG. Let the onion and the mushrooms cook for about 5 minutes until soft; give them an occasional stir.
- Remove the package with the carrots and sweet potatoes from the EGG. Carefully remove the foil and cut the sweet potatoes in quarters. Mix the green cabbage into the mushroom mixture and place the duck, carrots, sweet potatoes and stewed pears on the vegetables. Push the Dual Probe Remote Thermometer back into the core of the duck breast. Close the lid of the EGG and set the core temperature to 55 °C. Let the duck and the vegetables cook until the set core temperature has been reached.
- Remove the skillet from the EGG and place on a heat-resistant mat on the table.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?