Provençal chicken stew
Looking for a recipe for a tasty stew? Then this Provençal chicken stew from the Big Green Egg is perfect for you. It is not complicated to make the stew and because you grill the chicken thighs on the cast iron grid of your kamado first, it gives the steweven more flavour. When areyou going to put this ultimate comfort food on the menu?
- 10 chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp paprika powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 5 onions
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 2 red peppers
- 2 yellow peppers
- 300 g Shimeji mushrooms
- 8 tomatoes
- 350 g new potatoes
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- 6 sprigs of rosemary
- 6 sprigs of sage
- 4 sprigs of basil
- 3 sprigs of mint
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat to a temperature of 200°Cusing the Cast Iron Grid.
- Place the chicken thighs on your worktop. Mix the paprika powder with the ground cumin seeds. Sprinkle the chicken thighs on both sides with salt and pepper to taste and then with the paprika powder mixture.
- Place the chicken thighs on the grid and grill them for about 2 minutes. Turn the chicken a quarter turn and grill for another 2 minutes. Turn the chicken thighs over and grill for another 2 x 2 minutes. Close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the EGG, place on a dish and allow to cool slightly. Remove the grid and place the Stainless Steel Grid in the EGG. Bring the temperature to 180°C; in the meantime, place the round Green Dutch Oven on the grid to preheat it. Meanwhile, peel and chop the onions and garlic into coarse pieces. Halve the peppers, remove the stems and seeds and cut the flesh into coarse pieces. Separate the Shimeji mushrooms from the stalks. Cut the tomatoes into coarse pieces. Wash the new potatoes and pat them dry. Pluck the leaves from the sprigs of thyme and theneedles from the rosemary. Pluck the leaves from the sprigs of sage, basil and mint. Chop the herbs finely. Cut the cooled chicken thighs into strips of about 2 centimetres wide.
- Pour the sunflower oil into the Dutch oven. Add the onion, garlic, pepper, Shimeji mushrooms, tomato and herbs and cook for about 10 minutes. Stiroccasionally, closing the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Add the chicken strips and pour 800 millilitres of water into the Dutch oven. Close the lid of the EGG and let the chicken stew simmer for about 40 minutes. After about 20 minutes, place the new potatoes on the gridnext to the Dutch oven and close the lid of the EGG. Turn the new potatoes over after about 10 minutes.
- Remove the Dutch oven with the chicken stew and roast potatoes from the EGG. Add the new potatoes to the stew and place the Big Green Egg chicken stew on the table.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?