This stuffed courgette recipe is 100% vegetarian. Would you like to explore some variations? You could add some peeled and chopped king prawns to the stuffing. If you do so, fry the prawns together with the chestnut mushrooms. Instead of feta, sprinkle the stuffing with goat’s cheese or blue cheese! Either make for a delicious variation on the original recipe!
For the courgettes
- 2 large courgettes
For the stuffing
- 50 g chestnut mushrooms
- 100 g spinach
- 2 banana shallots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- 100 g feta
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 tbsp pine nuts
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the Cast Iron Grid, to a temperature of 200°C.
- Meanwhile, for the stuffing, dice the chestnut mushrooms and finely chop the spinach. Peel and finely cut the garlic and the shallots. Remove the leaves from the thyme, finely chop them, dice the feta (1×1 cm).
- Heat up the sunflower oil in the Cast Iron Dutch Oven on the grid of the EGG. Add the chestnut mushrooms and cook for a few minutes until golden-brown. Mix in the finely-chopped spinach, shallot, garlic and pine nuts, fry until the spinach has shrunk and season with salt and pepper. Mix in the thyme.
- Halve the courgettes and spoon out the seeds. Sprinkle the flesh with salt and pepper. Place both halves of the courgette, on the cut side, on the grid and close the lid of the EGG. Grill the courgettes for about 3 minutes, move each piece a quarter turn to create a nice grill pattern, and grill for another 3 minutes.
- Remove the courgette halves from the EGG. Fill the courgette halves with the stuffing and sprinkle with the feta cubes. Place the courgettes halves on the grid skin-side down, close the lid of the EGG and allow to cook for 10 minutes until the courgettes are done and the stuffing is soft.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!