With this recipe, we use the Big Green Egg as an oven. By indirectly cooking at a constant temperature, we keep full control over the cooking process. This time, we are cooking ‘en papillotte’; the carrots are cooked in a paper bag so that all the flavours, vitamins and aromas are preserved, partly because they do not get lost in boiling water. It is also an easy preparation method and looks very rustic. For the papillotte, we use two sheets of parchment paper, which we stapled together.
For the carrots
- approx. 8 yellow, purple and orange carrots
- 1 red onion
- 1 sprig liquorice
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-3 tbsp pumpkin seed oil
- 2-3 tbsp sherry vinegar (or apple cider)
- 1 clementine (or large mandarin)
- olive oil
- black pepper and coarse sea salt
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg. Place the convEGGtor and Stainless Steel Grid and bring the temperature of the EGG to 175°C. Cut a portion of the foliage and the lower tip of the carrots and wash them under the tap. Peel the onion and cut into rings.
- Place a sheet of wax paper on the work surface and place the carrots, onion, liquorice, thyme, and bay leaves on it. Drizzle with pumpkin seed oil and sherry (or apple cider) vinegar. Halve the clementine and squeeze the juice over the carrots. Add the squeezed peels.
- Cover with a second sheet of baking paper, fold the edges of both sheets a few times and not the surrounding paper.
- Place the packet on the grid, close the lid of the EGG and leave to cook for about 60 minutes until the carrots are soft. Carefully shake the package after about 30 minutes of cooking so that the juices are distributed properly.
- Remove the packet from the EGG with the EGGmitt. Tear the paper open and roll the caramelised carrots through the thickened juice. Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with black pepper and coarse sea salt. Enjoy!
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!