Rolls of smoked duck breast with plums
Have you ever smoked duck breast fillet in your Big Green Egg? It’s easier than you might think. This duck breast recipe tells you how to smoke duck breast fillet in your kamado. Once the meat has cooled down, slice it into thin slices to serve with a soaked plum as a cocktail snack. A classic combination guaranteed to hit the spot!
- 10 dried pitted prunes
- 20 ml Armagnac
- 50 g granulated sugar
- 1 tsp potato starch
- 1 duck breast fillet
- Nasturtium leaves or watercress
- Add the plums to a pan with 100 millilitres of water, making sure the plums are submerged. Heat the liquid to lukewarm, turn off the heat and let the plums soak for about 2 hours.
- Remove the plums from the liquid, and set aside. Add the Armagnac and granulated sugar to the pan, and bring to the boil. Stir a small splash of water into the potato starch to form a paste. Turn down the heat, stir the paste into the cooking liquid and simmer gently until the liquid is bound. Remove the pan from the heat, and add the plums back into the pan. Set aside.
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg, and heat to a temperature of 120°C. Meanwhile, trim the fat of the duck breast fillet crosswise, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Scatter a handful of Cherry Wood Chips over the glowing charcoal. Set up the convEGGtor, put the Round Drip Pan on this and place the Stainless Steel Grid in the EGG. Place the duck breast fillet fat-side up on the grid, close the lid of the EGG, and let the duck breast fillet smoke for about 20 minutes until it reaches a core temperature of 58 °C. You can measure the temperature with the Instant Read Thermometer.
- Remove the duck breast fillet from the EGG, and let it cool to lukewarm or room temperature.
- Cut the duck breast fillet lengthwise into ten thin slices. Divide the plums on a nice plate. Roll up the duck breast fillet slices, and place a roll of smoked duck breast fillet on each plum. Garnish with the nasturtium leaves or watercress.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?