Cheese lolly with grilled dates
Do you love blue cheese or cream cheese-filled dates too? Then you really owe it to yourself to make this savoury snack sometime. The cheese lolly has a surprising chequerboard effect and becomes even more delicious in combination with the bacon-wrapped dates grilled on the Big Green Egg. Feel free to do the preparations a day in advance. You can also grill the dates in advance, because this party snack is incredibly delicious both lukewarm and at room temperature.
- 2 gelatine sheets
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- 250 g young Mimolette cheese
- 250 g mature farmhouse cheese
- 1 slice of rye bread
- 5 long slices of streaky bacon
- 10 pitted dates
- For the cheese lollies, soak the gelatine leaves in plenty of cold water for at least 5 minutes.
- Heat the crème fraîche in a saucepan. Squeeze the gelatine leaves, and add them to the warm crème fraîche. Stir until the gelatine is dissolved, add salt and pepper to taste and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, cut the Mimolette cheese and the farmhouse cheese into strips that are 4-5 millimetres thick and 15 centimetres long. Place a piece of plastic wrap on your worktop. Top this with alternating strips of Mimolette cheese and farmhouse cheese until there are 5 to 6 strips in total. Brush this with a thin layer of the crème fraîche mix. Top that with strips of cheese again, while making sure to create a chequerboard effect. Brush again with some of the crème fraîche mixture, and top this with cheese again. Repeat until you get nice square cubes. Wrap the foil around the cheese, and leave to set in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. Prepare a second cheese packet in the same way, and leave this to set in the fridge for at least 15 minutes as well. Be sure to save some of the crème fraîche.
- Grind the slice of rye bread in the blender’s mincer, and sprinkle the rye bread crumbs on a flat plate. Take the cheese packets out of the fridge, remove the foil and brush the thick strips all around with the remaining crème fraîche. Roll them through the rye breadcrumbs, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap again. Place them in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg, and heat, with the Cast Iron Grid, to a temperature of 200°C. Meanwhile, remove the cheese strips from the fridge, and cut each strip into five equal cubes with a sharp knife. Remove the plastic wrap from the cubes.
- Cut the slices of streaky bacon in half. Wrap each date in half a slice of bacon, and pierce it with a cocktail stick. Place the bacon-wrapped dates on the grid, and close the lid of the EGG. Grill the dates for 2-3 minutes, turn them over and grill for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the dates from the EGG, and thread a cheese cube onto each skewer. Serve the cheese lollies on a nice plate.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?