There are some classic dishes that you must have prepared on your Big Green Egg. One of those is roasted beef rump, or picanha. It is not difficult to prepare and therefore suitable for the beginner as well as the advanced EGG fan. You first cook the meat slowly on your kamado and then briefly grill it. The layer of fat gives the rump a lot of extra flavour. Therefore definitely do not cut if off before cooking! When will you put this bold piece of meat on the menu?
- 1 beef rump (picanha) of approximately 1.2 kg
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt flakes
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the Disposable Drip Pan on top and the Stainless Steel Grid, to 140 °C.
- In the meantime, make crosshatch cuts in the layer of fat on the beef rump. Peel the garlic, crush the cloves and chop finely. Remove the thyme leaves and rosemary needles from the sprigs and chop finely.
- Rub the rump all over with the olive oil, garlic and herbs. Sprinkle with sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place the rump on the grid with the fat side up. Insert the pin of Dual Probe Remote Thermometer into the centre of the meat and close the lid of the EGG. Set the core temperature to 48°C and let the rump cook approximately 60 minutes until this temperature is reached.
- Remove the rump from the EGG. Cover the meat loosely with aluminium foil and allow it to rest; in the meantime, you can grill any vegetables that you may want to serve. Then remove the grid, the Drip Pan and the convEGGtor from the EGG. Place the Cast Iron Grid in the EGG and bring the temperature to 200°C.
- Place the rump with the layer of fat on the grid and grill it until crisp about 2-3 minutes. Keep moving it around while grilling, because the fat can cause flames and also briefly grill the meat side.
- Remove the picanha from the EGG and allow to rest for about 10 minutes, covered loosely with aluminium foil, before you cut the meat.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?