Grilled whole bavette
A whole bavette, also known as a flank steak, is a great choice for a short and hot Big Green Egg grilling session. Use the cast iron grid in your kamado for a nice Maillard reaction on the meat. The heat of the grid causes a reaction between the sugars and proteins in the meat. The result is the nice grill stripe and extra flavour.
- 1 bavette of approx. 1.5 kg
- 1 white onion
- 3 sprigs of sage
- 3 sprigs of oregano
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- 200 ml olive oil
- Place the Cast Iron Grid in the Big Green Egg, ignite the charcoal and heat to 250°C.
- In the meantime, remove the membrane from the flat side of the bavette. To do this, put your knife under the membrane, grab the membrane and cut up along the membrane while holding your knife against it. Remove the thin sides of the bavette. Later on, you can grill them very briefly on both sides and eat them.
- For the herb oil, peel and chop the white onion. Pick the leaves from the sage and the oregano and the needles from the rosemary, and finely chop. Mix the onion and the herbs with the olive oil.
- Place the bavette on the grid and grill for about 2 minutes. Turn ninety degrees and grill for another 2 minutes to create a nice grill pattern.
- Flip the bavette and grill the other side for 2 x 2 minutes as well. A core temperature of 53°C will cook your steak medium-rare. You can measure the temperature using the Instant Read Digital Thermometer. Pack the bavette loosely in aluminium foil and leave to rest for approx. 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle the bavette with salt and pepper and cut into steaks or slices. Serve the herb oil on or with the meat.
Beer and food combination
During a visit to the Jopen brewery at the Jopenkerk in Haarlem (the Netherlands), beer sommelier Jelle Y gave us some useful tips for combining beer and food. Jelle recommended the following type of beer to go with the grilled bavette:
Choose a beer that does not contain too much hop, is slightly caramelish and has a light roast flavour. A dark beer of around 6-7%. Such a beer will accompany the dish very nicely.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
Visit our Fan Shop!
The real EGG fan will always stand out due to his passion for food and because he prefers to spend his time in front of his Big Green Egg. Then again, his hoodie and socks may be a dead giveaway. You can find these and other original gift tips in our Fan Shop.