Entrecote as cowboy steak
Have you ever heard of cowboy grilling on your kamado? This technique involves grilling the ingredient, such as an entrecote or another nice steak, just above the red-hot charcoal. It’s like caveman-style grilling (directly onto the charcoal for more heat and a stronger grill flavour) but with the added advantages of a cast-iron grid.
Big Green Egg has a wonderful tool for this, the 2-Piece Multi Level Rack. Maintain a high temperature for best cowboy-steak results. It will give you the combination of intense charcoal heat, grill stripes from the Cast Iron Grid and the advantages of the lid of your EGG.
- 4 entrecote steaks approx. 2 cm thick
- sea salt
- Allow the entrecote steaks to come to room temperature. In the meantime, ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat to a temperature of 250°C with the 2-Piece Multi Level Rack upside down and the Cast Iron Grid (MiniMax/Small) inside. The 2-Piece Multi Level Rack is part of the 5-Piece EGGspander Kit , but can also be bought separately.
- Sprinkle the entrecote steaks with sea salt on both sides.
- Place the entrecote steaks on the grid and grill for approx. 1 minute. Rotate the entrecote steaks a quarter of a turn and continue to grill for another minute to produce a nice grilled diamond pattern.
- Flip the entrecote steaks and grill the other side for 2 x 1 minute as well. Set a core temperature of 53°C for medium-rare entrecote steaks. You can measure the temperature using the Instant Read Digital Thermometer. Pack the entrecote steaks loosely in aluminium foil and leave them to rest for approx. 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the entrecote steaks with pepper and serve with the garnish of your choice.
Beer and food combination
During a visit to the Jopen brewery at the Jopenkerk in Haarlem (the Netherlands), beer sommelier Jelle Y gave us some useful tips for combining beer and food. Jelle recommended the following type of beer to go with the grilled bavette:
You could serve a very heavy, dark, smoked beer with the grilled entrecote. Perhaps a full-bodied stout or porter. It will emphasise the grill stripes on the meat.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?