What is brisket? Brisket is a cut of meat from the cow’s breast, which consists of two muscles: the lean ‘flat’ and the fattier ‘point’. It is an American classic that – thanks to the barbecue competitions – is gaining popularity in Europe as well. Making brisket doesn’t take a lot of work, but it does take patience. The exact preparation time is hard to estimate, and depends on the thickness and fat percentage of the meat. Start well in advance; you can easily let brisket rest for an extra few hours.
For the brisket
- 1 brisket (beef point end brisket), approx. 5 kg
For the rub
- 2 tbsp paprika powder
- 1 tbsp ground fennel seed
- 1½ tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp ground cumin seed
- 1½ tbsp dried thyme
- 1½ tbsp dried oregano
- 1½ tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1½ tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp fine sea salt
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Cut the hard sinews from the brisket and remove the excess fat. Mix the ingredients for the rub.
- Thoroughly rub the brisket with the mixture and let rest for at least 1 hour at room temperature.
- Mix two handfuls of Hickory Wood Chips into the charcoal in the Big Green Egg. Ignite the charcoal and heat the EGG, with the convEGGtor, to 135°C.
- Lift the convEGGtor (wearing the EGGmitt) and sprinkle a handful of Hickory Wood Chips over the smouldering charcoal. Put the convEGGtor back and place the grid inside the EGG. Put the brisket on the grid and push the Dual Probe Remote Thermometer into the centre of the meat. Close the lid of the EGG and set the temperature of the thermometer to 85°C. Let the brisket cook for about 8 hours at 135°C until the set core temperature has been reached. The preparation time may vary widely.
- Remove the brisket from the Big Green Egg once this core temperature has been reached. Pack it up loosely in aluminium foil and place the brisket (for insulation) in a cooler. Let the brisket rest for at least 30 minutes before cutting.
Visit our Fan Shop!
The real EGG fan will always stand out due to his passion for food and because he prefers to spend his time in front of his Big Green Egg. Then again, his hoodie and socks may be a dead giveaway. You can find these and other original gift tips in our Fan Shop.