Reverse seared entrecôte with grilled and roasted vegetables
With the 5-piece EGGspander kit and half accessories you can simultaneously cook with direct and indirect heat at various levels and give your cooking skills a boost. In this recipe, you will discover one of the many possibilities of these accessories. We are going to reverse sear an extra thick, or double entrecôte. As a side dish, serve a grilled leek, chicory with bacon, roasted tomatoes and stewed potatoes.
- 1 double entrecôte of approx. 800 g
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g new potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 bay leaves
- 200 ml whipping cream
- 10 stalks mini chicory
- 2 leeks
- 10 slices bacon
- 3 sprigs of vine cherry tomatoes
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor Basket to a temperature of 210°C. Place the Half convEGGtor Stone in the Basket on the bottom level with the Half Stainless Steel Grid above it and on the other side on the top level the Half Cast Iron Grid.
- In the meantime, wash the unpeeled new potatoes. Bring them to the boil in a pan of lightly salted water, lower the heat and cook the new potatoes for about 10 minutes until al dente. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Remove the leaves from the thyme and the needles from the rosemary, and chop finely. Set aside the garlic and the herbs for now.
- Bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil. If necessary, remove the outer leaves of the chicory and cut a thin slice off the bottom. Carefully add the chicory to the boiling water and let it cook for about 3 minutes. Finally, clean the leeks.
- Drain the new potatoes and chicory and let the chicory cool slightly. Squeeze as much moisture as possible from the chicory stalks, wrap each stalk in a slice of bacon and secure with a cocktail stick.
- Coat de entrecôte with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the entrecôte on the Half Cast Iron Grid and grill for about 2 minutes. Turn the meat a quarter turn and grill for another 2 minutes. Turn the entrecôte over and grill the other side for 2 x 2 minutes. Meanwhile, grill the leeks on the Half Cast Iron Grid all around until the outside is charred. Close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Place the entrecôte and leeks on the Half Stainless Steel Grid to let them cook indirectly. Insert the pin of the Dual Probe Remote Thermometer into the core of the meat, and set the core temperature at 52-53 °C. Place the 2-Piece Multi Level Rack and place the lid of the Green Dutch Oven or an oven dish on it.
- Melt the butter in the lid or oven dish. Add the new potatoes, the set aside garlic, thyme and rosemary and the bay leaves and pour in the whipped cream. Close the lid of the EGG and let the new potatoes cook for about 15 minutes until the cream has reduced.
- Remove the entrecôte from the EGG when the set core temperature has been reached. Cover the meat loosely with aluminium foil and leave to rest. Place the heads of chicory on the Half Cast Iron Grid and the cherry tomatoes on the 2-Piece Multi Level Rack. Grill the chicory all over until the bacon is nicely browned while the tomatoes are roasting.
- Remove the potatoes, tomatoes, leek and chicory from the EGG. Cut the entrecôte into nice slices. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt and serve with the vegetables.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?