Are you looking for a festive side dish to serve with, for example, rack of venison? How about grandma’s stewed pears, which simmered on low heat for hours? Only this time, you can make them on your Big Green Egg. The mild smokey flavour of the charcoal in your favourite kamado gives an extra boost to the taste. The Sweetest Stewed Pears!
- 20 small Gieser Wildeman cooking pears
- 1 lime
- 1 lemon
- 2 cm fresh ginger
- 3 stalks lemongrass
- 750 ml red wine
- 300 ml crème de cassis
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 1 stick liquorice
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 8 star anise
- 15 green cardamom pods
- 8 tonka beans
- 2 tbsp potato starch
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid, to a temperature of 140°C.
- In the meantime, peel the cooking pears starting from the stem to the bottom. Cut the lime and the lemon each into quarters. Cut the ginger into slices and crush the lemongrass.
- Add all of the ingredients, except for the pears and the potato starch, to the Green Dutch Oven. Place the pan on the grid, close the lid of the EGG and bring to the boil.
- Carefully place the pears in the boiling liquid and let them gently simmer approximately 1½ hours.
- Remove the stewed pears from the cooking liquid. Strain the liquid, pour it back into the Dutch Oven and place the pan back on the grid. Mix the potato starch with a splash of water and stir it into the cooking liquid to thicken slightly.
- Carefully place the pears back into the cooking liquid and let them simmer another 15 minutes.
- Serve the stewed pears lukewarm or at room temperature.
The ultimate combination with these delicious stewed pears would be Rack of venison with mushrooms and cranberry compote.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?