Braised red cabbage
The longer you let the red cabbage simmer on low heat, the more delicious the cabbage becomes. Which means it is an ideal dish to make on your Big Green Egg! We make a Tipsy Cabbage in this recipe: with a little twist of red wine. Ignite the charcoal in your kamado in a timely manner so that you can also make a delicious main course such as Rack of venison with mushrooms and cranberry compote on your EGG.
BRAISED RED CABBAGE WITH APPLE
- 1 red cabbage
- 1 onion
- 1 sweet sour apple
- 6 tonka beans
- 12 green cardamom pods
- 4 star anise
- 8 cloves
- 12 juniper berries
- 500 ml red wine
- 400 ml crème de cassis
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 2 sticks liquorice
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp potato starch
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid, to a temperature of 140°C.
- In the meantime, cut the red cabbage in half and cut out the white core and the thick ribs. Cut the cabbage halves into thin strips. Peel and finely chop the onion. Peel the apple, remove the core and cut the flesh into cubes.
- Place the tonka beans, cardemom pods, star anise, cloves and juniper berries in a piece of cheesecloth and tie into a bundle with butcher’s twine (or use a tea infuser).
- Place the Green Dutch Oven on the grid and pour the red wine and crème de cassis in the pan. Add the spice bundle, cinnamon sticks, liquorice and bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- Add the red cabbage, onion and apple to the pan and simmer gently for approximately 1½ hours until the red cabbage is soft.
- Mix the potato starch with a splash of water and stir it into the red cabbage to thicken slightly.
If you want to serve the red cabbage with the rack of venison, then first braise the cabbage. When the rack of venison is almost ready, then just heat up the braised red cabbage from the Big Green Egg.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?