Polenta, ground corn flour, is known as an Italian ingredient. But corn is originally from South America, where it is used to make polenta chips or polenta cookies. Naturally, you can do that with this polenta recipe for the Big Green Egg too! You fry the polenta on your kamado, after which it has to fully cool (for quite a long time). After that, you cut the polenta into strips and fry them until golden brown and crispy.
- 2 shallots
- 100 ml olive oil + 2 tablespoons extra
- 500 g polenta
- ½ bunch chervil
- ½ bunch of flat leaf parsley
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the grid, to a temperature of 180°C.
- Peel and chop the shallots.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the Green Dutch Oven on the grid. Add the shallots and fry until translucent.
- Add the polenta to the pan and add water until the polenta is submerged by approximately 1 centimetre. Boil the polenta in approx. 35 minutes until done. Stir every now and then, add some extra water if necessary and close the lid of the EGG after each action. It will have the consistency of porridge at the end of the cooking time. In the meantime, pick the leaves of the herbs and chop them finely.
- Grease a rectangular dish (approx. 15 x 30 cm) with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the finely chopped herbs and pepper and salt to the polenta and spoon this into the dish. Leave the polenta in the refrigerator for approx. 6 hours or 2 hours in the freezer to cool completely and set. In the meantime, extinguish the charcoal in the EGG or use it for another dish.
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg again and heat, with the convEGGtor and the grid, to a temperature of 180°C. (or create this setup if you cooked something else with your EGG while you were waiting). Cut the polenta into strips of about 2 x 10 centimetres.
- Heat the 100 ml of olive oil in the Cast Iron Skillet on the grid.
- Fry the polenta cookies for approx. 10 minutes until golden brown all over and crispy.
RECIPES FOR COMBINATIONS
Polenta cookies from the Big Green Egg make a wonderful snack and side dish. With which Big Green Egg recipe will you serve them?
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?