Smoked duck breast with couscous salad, red beetroot and grilled vegetables
Divine duck breast with a scrumptious salad! How does that sound? This dish is unusual, impressive and very easy to make on your Big Green Egg. The duck breast does take some time to smoke, but you can prepare the couscous salad while you wait. Once the core temperature of the duck has been reached, all you have to do is grill the vegetables.
- 2 duck breast fillets (magret de canard)
- balsamic crème
- 500 ml red beetroot juice
- 250 g couscous
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cooked red beetroots (small)
- 1 bunch of chives
- sea salt
- 2 little gem lettuces
- 24 wild asparagus or green asparagus spears
- sea salt
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Create a hotspot by igniting the charcoal in the Big Green EGG with 1 charcoal starter and wait for the starter to burn up. Meanwhile, score the fat layer of the duck breasts crosswise and sprinkle with sea salt on both sides.
- Position the Mesquite Wood Chunk on the hotspot, place the convEGGtor in the EGG and either add an aluminium drip tray or cover with a sheet of aluminium foil (for models larger than the Mini you could also use the Round Drip Pan ). Place the grid in the EGG and lay the duck breasts on the grid fatty side up. Insert the pin of the Dual Probe Remote Thermometer into the core of one of the fillets and close the lid of the EGG. Set the core temperature to 54°C and bring the temperature of the EGG to around 90°C. Leave the duck breast fillets to smoke for approx. 45 minutes until the set core temperature has been reached.
- For the salad, bring the beetroot juice to the boil. Mix the couscous with the olive oil in a bowl. Pour the hot beetroot juice over it and allow to stand for 10 minutes. In the meantime, peel the cooked beetroot, cut in small segments and halve these segments. Finely chop the chives.
- Stir the couscous to loosen it. Mix in the beetroot and chives and season to taste with sea salt and pepper. Remove the duck breast fillets from the EGG when the set core temperature has been reached and loosely cover with aluminium foil.
- Remove the grid and the convEGGtor from the EGG and place the Cast Iron Grid in the EGG using the Cast Iron Grid Lifter. Heat the EGG to 220°C. To prepare the vegetables, halve the little gem lettuces lengthwise and remove the hard ends of the green asparagus if you are using these.
- Place the little gems on the grid cut side down, and close the lid of the EGG. Grill the lettuce for approx. 2.5 minutes, rotate through 90 degrees and grill for another 2.5 minutes.
- Remove the lettuce from the EGG and place the asparagus on the grid. Grill the wild asparagus for approx. 1 minute and green asparagus for approx. 3 minutes, roll them over and grill again for 1 or 3 minutes respectively.
- Cut the duck breast into attractive slices. Halve the pieces of little gem again and sprinkle sea salt onto the segments. Distribute over the plates, together with the couscous salad and asparagus, and garnish with balsamic crème.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!matisch de lekkerste recepten, inspirerende seizoensmenu’s, praktische tips en veel, veel meer!