Tournedos with bacon and garden herbs
The tournedos is cut from the tenderloin . You need part of the tenderloin for this recipe, 800 grams. Preferably the thicker middle piece, the chateaubriand. If you buy an entire tenderloin, you can use the head and the tip of the tenderloin for other recipes. The tip is often used for tenderloin tips. Ideal for grilling a nice tenderloin skewer on your Big Green Egg.
- 1 tenderloin of 800g, membrane removed
- 8 long slices of streaky bacon
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Butcher’s twine
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Cast Iron Grid, to a temperature of 220°C.
- Meanwhile, cut the tenderloin into 4 nice, equal tournedos. Wrap 2 pieces of streaky bacon around the sides of each tournedos and bind with butcher’s twine. Cut the sprigs of thyme and rosemary into pieces and put them in the tournedos. Drizzle the tournedos with olive oil on both sides and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the tournedos with the herb side up on the grid and grill for approx. 3 minutes. Turn the tournedos ninety degrees and grill for another 3 minutes to create a nice grill pattern. Close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Flip the tournedos and grill for another 2 x approx. 3 minutes until it reaches a core temperature between 48 and 52 °C until medium rare. You can check the core temperature with the Instant Read Digital Thermometer.
- Remove the tournedos from the EGG and leave to rest loosely covered by aluminium foil for approx. 5 minutes.
You can serve the tournedos with side dishes of your choice, like grilled vegetables and Hasselback potatoes . Make the potatoes first, then grill the vegetables and grill the tournedos last. You can heat the potatoes and the vegetables while the tournedos is resting.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?