Stuffed turkey with herb salt
Turkey can be cooked in a number of different ways on the Big Green Egg. One very tasty method is to stuff the turkey. You can do this well in advance. When buying a turkey, choose a free-range bird that has lived an outdoor life. You will really taste the difference.
For the turkey
- 1 turkey of 4-5kg
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
For the herb salt
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 6 sprigs of rosemary
- 10 sprigs of thyme
- 5 tbsp. coarse sea salt
For the stuffing
- 350g turkey thigh meat
- 50g chestnut mushrooms
- 150g chicken livers
- 12g spring onions, cut in rings
- 15g red onion, finely chopped
- 15g dried apple, coarsely chopped
- 23g red paprika, diced
- 37g dried apricot, coarsely chopped
- 60g dried cranberries
- 37g egg
- 35g breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp. chicken spices
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Prepare the herb salt a few days in advance, if possible. This will allow the flavours plenty of time to mingle. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Remove the needles from the rosemary and the leaves from the thyme, and chop finely. Mix all the ingredients for the herb salt.
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat the EGG, with the convEGGtor, to 160°C. In the meantime, dice the turkey thigh meat and slice the chestnut mushrooms for the stuffing. Blend, together with the other stuffing ingredients, into a course mixture in a food processor. Fill the turkey cavity with the stuffing and truss the turkey tightly using butcher’s string.
- Brush the turkey with the olive oil and sprinkle all over with the herb salt.
- Place the Rectangular Drip Pan on the convEGGtor and place the grid inside the EGG. Place the stuffed turkey on it. Stick the pin of the Dual Probe Remote Thermometer in the centre of the stuffing and set the temperature for 67°C. Close the lid of the EGG and leave the turkey to cook until the set core temperature has been reached. This will take approximately 3 hours.
- Leave the turkey to rest under aluminium foil for about 15 minutes before carving. Serve the stuffed turkey with a garnish of your choice.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!