Oyakodon is one of the classics of Japanese cuisine. A delicious dish, which you can also make in your Big Green Egg. The name alludes to the basic ingredients of the dish: chicken, egg and rice. Oyako stands for parent and child (chicken and egg) and don stands for donburi, which literally means bowl and indicates that it is a dish in a bowl with rice. Grill the chicken separately in your kamado, after which you will add it to the pan. This gives the chicken a delicious roasted taste. Would you like to try something else for a change? Then add salmon fillet instead of chicken.
- 300 g Japanese rice (short-grain)
- 600 g chicken thigh fillets
- 200 g onions
- 60 g unshelled peas
- 8 eggs
- 1 tsp shichimi togarashi (Japanese 7 spice powder)
- 3 g dashi powder
- 60 ml soy sauce
- 60 ml mirin (Japanese rice wine)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Wash the rice in a bowl with cold tap water. Drain the rice, add fresh water to the bowl and wash the rice again. Repeat until the water remains clear. Drain the rice again, pour in another 400 millilitres of water and allow the rice to soak for approx. 30 minutes. If you don’t have so much time, you can skip the soaking.
- In the meantime, light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat to a temperature of 220°C with the Cast Iron Grid. For the oyako, chop the chicken thigh fillets into pieces. Peel the onions and cut them into thin, half rings. For the stock, mix the dashi powder with 300 ml water. Mix the soy sauce, mirin and sugar through this.
- Drain the soaked rice and bring 400 ml water to the boil in a pan with the lid on; if you are using a pan with a glass lid, you can see how the boiling process is progressing. Turn down the heat and allow the rice to boil for 7 to 10 minutes until almost all the water has been absorbed. When you hear the rice sputter slightly on the bottom of the pan, turn up the heat and leave the pan on the heat, so that the remaining moisture evaporates.
- In the meantime, spread the pieces of chicken thigh fillet over the grid and grill them for approx. 5 minutes; the chicken only has to colour and doesn’t have to be done yet. Close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Remove the chicken from the EGG and set aside, then sprinkle the 7 spice powder over the chicken. Remove the grid, place the Stainless Steel Grid in the EGG and place the Cast Iron Skillet Small on this. Add the onions, the peas and stock to the skillet. Close the lid of the EGG and leave to cook for approx. 5 minutes. Remove the pan with rice from the heat, drain the rice and allow the rice to rest, with the lid on the pan, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces to the skillet, close the lid of the EGG and allow the chicken to stew in the sauce for 10 minutes. In the meantime, beat the eggs.
- Pour the eggs in the skillet, close the lid of the EGG and allow to cook for 2½ to 3 minutes.
- Serve the rice in bowls with the chicken and egg mixture on top.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?