Grilled aubergine with salmon, yellowtail and miso
The flavour of aubergine is quite neutral. Grill these vegetables on the Big Green Egg, which will give them an amazing flavour boost and you will almost be able to taste the pure flavour of the Big Green Egg. In this Japanese recipe, you combine the flavour of aubergine with salmon fillet, yellowtail and one of the ultimate seasonings from Japanese cuisine: miso. A dish from the kamado which will amaze you with its flavour.
- 2 aubergines
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 spring onions
- 120 slices of raw salmon fillet
- 120 g slices of raw yellowtail kingfish (buri, hamachi)
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 4 padrón peppers
- 20 g ginger root
- 30 ml sake
- 50 g sugar
- 120 g miso
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Cast Iron Grid, to a temperature of 220°C.
- In the meantime, peel the ginger root and finely grate the flesh for the miso sauce. Add this to a saucepan, together with the sake and sugar, and heat gently for approx. 2 min so that the alcohol evaporates from the sake and the sugar melts. Remove the saucepan from the heat and mix through the miso. Make sure that all ingredients are mixed well.
- Halve the aubergines lengthwise. Cut the halves along the skin all around, so that the flesh separates from the skin. Cut a diamond pattern into the flesh just above the skin; as a result of this, you will be able to easily scoop out the flesh while eating.
- Brush both sides of the aubergine halves with the sunflower oil. Place them skin side down on the grill and close the lid of the EGG. Grill the vegetables approx. 10 minutes until the flesh is soft. In the meantime, finely chop the spring onions.
- Spread the slices of salmon and yellowtail kingfish over the aubergine halves and scoop 2 tablespoons of miso sauce on each half. Sprinkle with the spring onion and pine nuts. Place the padrón peppers next to the aubergines on the grid and close the lid of the EGG. Grill the aubergines approx. 7 minutes; turn the padrón peppers every now and then so that they brown all around.
- Place the aubergine halves on a plate and place a grilled padrón pepper on each half.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?