Pork cheeks stewed in tomato sauce
Are you a fan of stewing in the Big Green Egg? Then try this tasty recipe of pork cheeks stewed in tomato sauce. A dish that you can make on your kamado all year round, because stewing is not just a winter activity. How about your Big Green Egg? It does not care about the ambient temperature and, thanks to the highest quality ceramics, always maintains a very steady temperature. No matter how hot or cold it is outdoors.
- 12 pork cheeks
- 2 onions
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 6 tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500 ml poultry stock
- 2 tbsp grated mozzarella
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 basil leaves
- Sprinkle the pork cheeks with salt and pepper. Sprinkle half a handful of apple Wood Chips and half a handful of cherry Wood Chips on the glowing charcoal and place the convEGGtor. Place the Stainless Steel Grid in the EGG and place the pork cheeks on it. Close the lid of the EGG and let the cheeks smoke for about 20 minutes; by placing the convEGGtor, the temperature in the EGG will drop to approximately 110°C. Keep the EGG at this temperature while smoking.
- Meanwhile, peel and chop the onions and garlic. Remove the leaves from the thyme and the needles from the rosemary and chop them finely. Cut the tomatoes into coarse pieces.
- Remove the pork cheeks from the EGG and set them aside. Remove the grid and the convEGGtor and replace the grid. Place the Cast Iron Skillet on the grid and bring the temperature to 200 °C; while the temperature rises, the skillet will already heat up.
- Add the olive oil, onion, garlic, thyme and rosemary to the skillet and fry until the onion is translucent. Stir occasionally and close the lid of the EGG after each action. Stir the tomatoes into the onion mixture and deglaze with the poultry stock. Bring the sauce to a boil.
- Add the pork cheeks to the sauce and remove the skillet from the EGG. Remove the grid, place the convEGGtor and replace the grid. Place the skillet back on the grid and close the lid of the EGG. Leave the pork cheeks to simmer in the sauce for 3-4 hours until they are tender; by placing the convEGGtor the temperature in the EGG will drop to approximately 140 °C, keep the EGG at this temperature during stewing. Turn the cheeks occasionally while stewing and close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Once the pork cheeks are tender, mix the grated mozzarella with the Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle some of the cheese mixture on each cheek. Close the lid of the EGG and leave it to cook for another 10-15 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the skillet from the Big Green Egg and place a basil leaf on each pork cheek. Place the skillet on a fireproof surface on the table.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?