A quick method to make a whole grilled chicken on your kamado is to cook it like a highway chicken. This involves boning the chicken so that it lies flat on the grid of your Big Green Egg, which speeds up the cooking process. Grilling the chicken indirectly, with the convEGGtor between the charcoal and the grid on your Big Green Egg prevents it from burning and gives the meat a delicious roasted taste.
- 1 corn chicken of approx. 1 kg
- 4 heads of parsley (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp Madras curry powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder (sweet)
- 1 tsp Japanese 7-spice powder (Shichimi tōgarashi) or ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Cut the skin and flesh from all around the legs, about 4 cm from the end, and scrape off the flesh. Lay the chicken on your cutting board. Slice into the skin along the backbone. Cut the drumsticks loose on both sides, under the skin, and cut around the carcass. Remove the carcass, you can leave the bones in the drumsticks. Finally, cut off the wings and the loose skin from the neck of the chicken.
- For the rub, peel and finely chop the garlic. Mix the ingredients for the rub and coat the chicken with it. Put the chicken in the refrigerator and leave to marinate for 1 hour.
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor in the convEGGtor Basket and the Rectangular Drip Pan and Cast Iron Grid to a temperature of 180°C. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and allow it to reach room temperature.
- Lay the chicken, skin down, on the grid and close the lid of the EGG. Allow the chicken to cook until it reaches a core temperature of 75-76 °C. You can measure the core temperature by inserting the pen of the Instant Read Thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh.
- Grill the chicken for 1 minute on the meat side and then remove it from the EGG.
- Place the chicken on a cutting board, let it rest for about 5 minutes and then cut it into pieces.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?