Mackerel cooked in smoked butter on toast with beetroot and horseradish
The sales and consumption of fresh mackerel have grown substantially in recent years, and rightfully so, as its meat is considered to be very healthy! But what other techniques can you use on the Big Green Egg, apart from grilling and smoking? In this recipe, we prepare the mackerel in butter and serve it on toast, with beetroot and horseradish, as a tasty starter!
For the mackerel
- 2 beetroots
- 1 tbsp. finely grated horseradish
- 3 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. crème fraiche
- ½ tbsp. lemon juice
- 500 g unsalted butter
- 1 large, fresh mackerel
- 2 thin slices of bread
- 12 small basil garnishes
- coarse sea salt
- Fill the Big Green Egg with a layer of charcoal and use three firelighters to light it. Leave the lid open.
- Carefully place the beetroots on the glowing coals and roast them for approximately 40 minutes. Leave the lid open, turning the beetroots from time to time while they roast using the Grill Tong. In the meantime, mix the finely grated horseradish, the mayonnaise, the crème fraiche and the lemon juice. Season with pepper and salt, then pour the horseradish mayonnaise into a piping bag or a clean squeezy sauce bottle.
- Remove the beetroots from the EGG®, sprinkle a handful of Apple Wood Chips on the charcoal and place the Cast Iron Grid in the EGG. Put the butter in the Round Drip Pan and put this on the grid. Close the lid and reduce the temperature to approx. 100 °C by reducing the air intake. Smoke the butter for around 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, fillet the mackerel and cut both fillets in half lengthways creating four small fillets. Put the mackerel fillets in the smoked butter and cook for approximately 8 minutes. Cut slices of bread slightly larger than the fillets and briefly grill them on the EGG’s grid.
- Peel the cooled beetroots, cut each one into six slices and cut a perfect circle from them using a cutter. Place a slice of bread with a mackerel fillet on top sprinkled with sea salt on every plate. Add the slices of beetroot, pipe or squeeze some horseradish mayonnaise onto the beetroot slices and garnish with basil.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!