Half a lobster with verbena oil and fennel
If you prepare the verbena oil in advance, this grilled (half) lobster recipe can be quickly prepared on the Big Green Egg. Doing so saves you time and lets you enjoy the company of your guests to the fullest!
For the lobster
- 5 small Canadian lobsters (Canners)
- 25 g fresh or dried verbena
- 5 dl corn oil
- 2 bulbs of fennel
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Place the lobsters in the freezer for 2 hours before using them. This will render them unconscious. Meanwhile, heat the verbena in the corn oil to a temperature of 60°C and leave to infuse for 2-3 hours.
- Heat the Big Green Egg, with the Cast Iron Grid, to a temperature of 200°C.
- Bring a large pan of lightly salted water to the boil and cook the lobsters for 2 minutes. Remove them from the pan and cool them down in iced water.
- Cut the lobsters in two lengthways and remove the organs. Remove the meat from the shell and rinse both halves of the shell clean. Slice the fennel into thin slices with a mandoline and sieve the verbena from the oil. Season the fennel with oil, pepper and salt (keep the remaining oil to use in a salad, for example).
- Divide the fennel over the lobster shells and then replace the meat. Place the lobster halves on the Cast Iron Grid of the Big Green Egg, close the dome and roast them for 4-5 minutes.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!