Luxury spring rolls with soy and lime dressing
These luxurious spring rolls are a must-try snack! The filling consists of a scarlet prawn grilled on the Big Green Egg and grilled vegetables. Also known as carabineros, these prawns are the most exclusive around. They are the Rolls-Royce of prawns and can really taste the difference. Can’t get your hands on these exclusive prawns? Alternatively, you could use ordinary prawns. Just grill them for half a minute longer on each side.
- 4 prawns (preferably carabineros – 8/10 – frozen)
- 8 green asparagus tips
- ½ mini pak choi
- 10 cm cucumber
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Handful of bean sprouts
- ½ spring onion
- small piece of sushi ginger
- 1 cm red Spanish chilli pepper (without seeds)
- 1-2 coriander leaves (to taste)
- ¼ lime
- 50 ml soy sauce
- 4 rice sheets (Ø 22 cm)
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Cast Iron Grid, to a temperature of 200°C.
- Meanwhile, for the filling, cut the heads off the prawns and set them aside. Peel the prawns and remove the intestinal tracts. Cut the bottoms off the asparagus tips to make them about 10 centimetres long. Remove the leaves from the mini pak choi. Halve the cucumber lengthwise, scrape out the seeds and cut the flesh into 16 even strips.
- For the dressing, cut the spring onion into thin rings. Finely chop the sushi ginger, chilli and coriander leaves. Squeeze the juice from the lime quarter. Keeping the coriander aside, mix the rest of the ingredients for the dressing and set this and the coriander aside.
- Lightly brush the prawn heads, asparagus tips and mini pak choi with the olive oil. Place the prawn heads on the grill and close the lid of the EGG. Grill for approximately 2 minutes. Flip the prawn heads and place the prawns next to them. Grill for 1 minute. Flip the prawns and place the asparagus tips and mini pak choi leaves next to them. Grill for half a minute. Flip the asparagus tips and mini pak choi and grill for another half a minute. In total, grill the heads for 4 minutes, the prawns for 2 minutes, and the asparagus tips and mini pak choi for 1 minute. Close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Remove the grilled ingredients from the EGG. Soak one of the rice sheets in a bowl of cold water for 1 minute. Place the sheet on a clean, slightly damp tea towel and starting from about a third from the bottom, top with a prawn, two asparagus tips, a quarter of the mini pak choi, four cucumber strips and a quarter of the bean sprouts. Fold the sides of the rice sheet over the filling and roll it up tightly. Repeat the process with the rest of the rice sheets and the filling.
- Stir the dressing a little more and sprinkle with the coriander. Place a spring roll and a head of prawn on each plate and serve with the dressing to dip the spring roll in. To eat the prawn head, place your teeth right behind the cut surface of the head and suck out the meat left in there and the delicious juice that is released.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?