Brook trout stuffed with apple and beetroot
Many leading chefs have discovered the Big Green Egg. The same is true for Jeroen Achtien. He not only uses the EGG in his professional kitchen, the likeable chef also regularly cooks in his kamado at home. From a tasty grilled chicken to this delicious stuffed trout. Chef’s tip: cooking the fish on the baking paper without a convEGGtor exposes it to more direct heat and makes the skin nice and crispy. And if you can’t get brook trout? Then use mackerel, it’s just as tasty!
- 1 brook trout of approx. 500 g
- 3 tbsp mild olive oil
- 1 large beetroot
- 3 tsp sambal badjak
- 1 Granny Smith
- 1 sprig of tarragon
- Place the beetroot in the charcoal and close the lid of the EGG. Roast the beetroot for about 60 minutes until it is soft; turn the beetroot occasionally during roasting, closing the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Remove the beetroot from the EGG and let it cool slightly. Put the Stainless Steel Grid in the EGG and bring the temperature to 200°C. Meanwhile, butterfly the brook trout by cutting open the abdominal wall and removing the intestines. Cut through the stomach bone on both sides and use your fillet knife to cut from head to tail on both sides between the bones and the fish meat; do not cut through the skin. Pull off or cut the central bone. Remove the gills.
- Drizzle a sheet of baking paper big enough to accommodate the trout with the olive oil and rub it all over. Place the opened-up fish, skin-side down on the baking paper and brush the fish meat with the sambal badjak.
- Cut the Granny Smith into slices of about 1 centimetre thick and dice. Peel the skin off the beetroot and also cut it into cubes of about 1 centimetre. Place the tarragon sprig in the centre of the fish and scatter the diced apple and beetroot over it. Sprinkle with freshly ground sea salt to taste.
- Place the stuffed brook trout on the baking paper on the grill and close the lid of the EGG. Cook for about 7 minutes until the fish is cooked but still translucent and the diced apple and beetroot are nice and warm.
- Remove the baking paper with the stuffed brook trout from the EGG and serve on a nice plate so everyone can serve themselves.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?