Fried sole with grilled corn
Do you love serving fish but want to surprise your guests this time? Steal the show with this scrumptious sole fried on the plancha in the Big Green Egg with grilled corn and potato cakes. The kamado gives the ingredients an extra boost of flavour and the presentation makes quite the impact. Looks can be deceiving — this dish is much easier to make than you’d think!
- 2 corn on the cobs with leaves
- 2 tbsp of butter
- 4 skinless sole
- 50 g breadcrumbs (fine)
- 50 g flour
- ½ tsp curry powder
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp butter
- 200 ml veal stock
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil for the corn. Add the corn on the cobs and remove the pan from the heat. Leave the corn on the cobs to cool in the water.
- In the meantime, light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Stainless Steel Grid, to a temperature of 180°C.
- Remove the corn on the cobs from the liquid and pull the leaves down but leave them attached.
- Cut the heads and tails off the sole. Cut the side fins off the fish and save them for the sauce. Mix together the breadcrumbs, flour and curry powder and sprinkle on a plate. Sprinkle the soles with salt and pepper, roll them through the breadcrumb mixture and set aside; save the rest of the breadcrumb mixture for the sauce.
- For the sauce, heat the lid of the Green Dutch Oven on the grill. Add the butter and wait until it starts to colour. Roll the side fins through the breadcrumb mixture, add them to the lid and fry for 3-4 minutes until golden brown. Close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Deglaze the side fins with the veal stock and cook for 5-6 minutes until the fins fall apart. Pour the sauce through a sieve and set aside. Place the Half Cast Iron Plancha (smooth side up) on the grill, close the lid of the EGG and wait for about 10 minutes until the plancha is hot.
- Heat the olive oil and butter on the plancha and wait for the butter to melt. Meanwhile, melt the butter for the corn.
- Brush the corn all over with the melted butter and place the cobs on the grill. Place the soles on the plancha and cook for about 4 minutes until the underside is golden brown. Flip the soles and fry for another 4 minutes. Meanwhile, give the corn an occasional quarter turn to grill it all over. Close the lid of the EGG after each action.
- Remove the corn and soles from the EGG and place them on a cutting board. Using a knife, press on the backbones of the soles and carefully slide the smallest fillets away from the side bones on one side so that the bones are visible. Warm the sauce.
- Divide the fillet pieces between the plates and on each plate, place two fillets on the bone against them. Place a corn on the cob and some potato cakes next to the fish and spoon some of the sauce onto each plate.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?