Lobster cooked in smoked butter
Smoked butter forms a wonderful base for cooking fish such as sole, mackerel, wolffish or plaice fillet, as well as lobster. In this recipe, we will focus on preparing lobster. By cooking the lobster in smoked butter, the meat remains delightfully tender and acquires a subtle smoky flavour. A surprising way to smoke food on the Big Green Egg!
For the lobster
- 1 lobster
- 1 kg butter
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- 2 hours before cooking, place the lobster in the freezer so that it’s stunned.
- After the lobster has been in the freezer for 2 hours, bring a large pan of water to the boil on the stove and set aside a bowl of iced water. Grip the lobster behind its head and cut through the elastic bands around the claws. Add the lobster to the boiling water and allow to cook for 2 minutes. Scoop the lobster from the pan with a skimmer. Hold the lobster with a clean dishcloth to protect yourself from the heat and break the claws off with a second dishcloth. Return the claws to boiling water and cook for 1 minute longer. Cool the remainder of the lobster in the iced water. After 1 minute, scoop the claws out of the pan and also cool in the iced water.
- Soak a handful of Apple Wood Chips in water. Slide the draft door at the bottom of the ceramic base of the Big Green Egg completely open, distribute three firelighters over the charcoal and light them. Leave the lid of the EGG open for 10-12 minutes
- Meanwhile, remove the lobster and the loose claws from the water and break off the top of the tail. Break the shell off the tail and remove the intestinal tract. Crack open the legs and the claws, and carefully remove the meat so that it remains whole. Rinse the meat clean under the tap and pat dry.
- Sprinkle the soaked Wood Chips over the glowing charcoal. Set up the convEGGtor and place the Stainless Steel Grid inside the EGG. Put the butter in the Round Drip Pan, place this on the grid and close the lid of the EGG. Heat the EGG to a temperature of 110°C and smoke the butter for 15 minutes. Regularly stir while the butter is melting and being smoked, and always close the lid of the EGG again afterwards.
- Place the lobster meat into the smoked butter, close the lid of the EGG and heat to a temperature of 100°C. Allow to cook for 6-8 minutes and remove the Round Drip Pan from the EGG with the EGGmitt.
- Remove the lobster from the butter and serve with vegetables of your choice, such as grilled fennel and new potatoes, and chilli mayonnaise for instance.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!