Mussels with bread
In many countries, mussels are usually served with chips. In the Netherlands, however, we often use bread. This may sound a bit easier, but in the recipe we make up for that by seasoning the mussels with a selection of spices, such as wasabi, and glazing them with white wine or bock beer. Serve the mussels with bread for a great lunch!
For the mussels
- 2kg mussels
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- ½ tsp wasabi
- 100ml soy sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 400g bag of mussels or soup vegetables
- 500ml white wine or 1 bottle of bock beer
- 5 sprigs flat parsley
- 5 sprigs of chervil
- 5 chive leaves
- 200g crème fraîche
- baguette or other bread, for serving
- Heat up the Big Green Egg, with the Stainless Steel Grid, to 220°C. Meanwhile, check the mussels for open and broken shells and throw them away, rinse the undamaged ones in a colander under cold water. Peel the garlic and chop finely and pick the leaves from the thyme and needles from the rosemary and chop finely. Mix the wasabi with the soy sauce.
- Heat the olive oil in the Stir-Fry & Paella Grill Pan on the grid of the EGG. Wait until the oil is very hot, then carefully add the vegetables and garlic, cook for a few minutes then add the chopped herbs and the mussels. Add the white wine or bock beer and the mix of soy sauce and wasabi. Close the lid of the EGG and cook the mussels for about 5 minutes until the shells are fully open. In the meantime, pick the leaves from the parsley and chervil and chop, and cut the chives. Mix into the crème fraîche.
- Spoon the mussels into a bowl and serve with the bread and crème fraîche with herbs.
For a more elaborate meal you can also serve celeriac or turnip chips with the mussels. Cut the vegetables into thick chips and blanch in lightly salted water until al dente. Drain, cool in ice water and leave to drain in a colander. Grill on all sides for about 220°C on the Big Green Egg
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!