Courgette blinis with smoked trout
These courgette blinis with smoked trout are not only very tasty, they are also incredibly versatile. You can serve them as a starter, a party snack or (when combined with some other delicious tapas recipes) as a tapas meal. For this recipe, we use Wood Chips to smoke the salmon trout.
For the salmon trout
- 1 salmon trout, gutted
- 10 sprigs of chervil
- 100 g crème fraîche
For the blinis
- 200 ml milk
- 250 g buckwheat flour
- ½ bag of dry yeast (7 g)
- ½ courgette
- 1 egg
- sunflower oil
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Heat the milk in a pan on the stove until lukewarm to prepare the blinis. Mix the buckwheat flour and the yeast in a bowl and stir in the milk. Leave the basic batter to rest in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg, place the Stainless Steel Grid, and heat to a temperature of 220 °C. In the meantime, soak a handful of Hickory Wood Chips in water.
- Grate the courgette and beat the egg. Stir into the basic batter and ladle the batter in a piping bag. Place the Cast Iron Griddle Half Moon with the smooth side facing up on the grid of the EGG and grease with sunflower oil. Wait until the plate has properly warmed, pipe on small rounds of the batter and close the lid of the EGG. After approx. 2 minutes, check if the top of the blini has solidified and if the bottom is golden brown. Turn the blini, close the lid and fry the other side until golden brown as well. Remove the blini from the plate and repeat until all the batter has been used. Place them on a dish and leave to cool.
- Remove the Cast Iron Griddle Half Moon from the grid using the EGGmitt and remove the grid from the EGG. Sprinkle the soaked and still quite wet Wood Chips onto the glowing coals. Almost completely close the draft door at the bottom of the ceramic base to make the temperature drop to about 120 °C. Replace the grid and place the salmon trout on it. Close the lid of the EGG and smoke the trout for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the trout from the EGG and leave to cool slightly. Open the draft door a bit to increase the temperature of the EGG to 180 °C. Pull off the chervil leaves and chop finely. Remove the skin of the trout and gently scrape the meat off the bone. Mix the crème fraîche and three-quarters of the finely chopped chervil with the salmon trout and season with salt and pepper.
- Position the Perforated Cooking Grid on the grid of the EGG and place the blinis on it. Heat for approx. 2 minutes. Place the blinis on a nice dish, spoon some of the smoked trout on it and sprinkle with the remaining chervil.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!