Time for a update to the BBQ classic that is the bratwurst. Do you love bratwurst with sauerkraut or a bratwurst sandwich? This Big Green Egg recipe is a match made in heaven! Instead of a bread roll, we’ll make a baked potato, which you top with sauerkraut stewed in your kamado. The finishing touch is of course the grilled bratwurst with a delicious herb cream cheese. A real crowd pleaser!
- 2 large, floury potatoes
- 250 g sauerkraut
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100 ml white wine
- 2 bratwursts of your choice
- 2 sprigs of flat leaf parsley
HERB CREAM CHEESE
- 5 chive stalks
- 100 g cream cheese
- Place the potatoes on the glowing charcoal, close the lid of the EGG and leave them to roast for around 25 minutes; turn the potatoes regularly during roasting. Briefly rinse the sauerkraut in a colander under cold water and drain.
- Remove the potatoes from the EGG and insert the Cast Iron Grid. Place the potatoes on the grill and also put the Cast Iron Sauce Pot on top. Pour the olive oil into the pan and add the sauerkraut. Pour in the white wine, close the lid of the EGG and let the sauerkraut stew for about 10 minutes while the potatoes continue to roast. In the meantime, finely chop the chives for the herb cream cheese. Loosen the cream cheese with a fork and mix in the chives and salt and pepper to taste. Set the herb cream cheese aside.
- Stir the sauerkraut and place the bratwursts on the grill. Grill the bratwursts until the desired core temperature is reached. Maintain a core temperature of 65 °C for beef bratwurst and 85 °C for pork bratwurst. Turn the bratwursts occasionally while grilling and measure the core temperature with the Instant Read Thermometer.
- Remove the bratwursts, sauerkraut and potatoes from the EGG. Carefully slice open the potatoes lengthwise. Spread sauerkraut over the potato and top with a bratwurst. Place a spoonful of the herb cream cheese on top and garnish with the parsley.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?