Grilled veal schnitzels with stroganoff sauce
You can make the best tasting Stroganoff sauce using fresh ingredients. We have added an additional flavour enhancer to this recipe. Because, by first grilling the peppers and onion in the Big Green Egg, the Stroganoff sauce will have even more flavour. Would you like to try something else for a change? Then serve it with grilled beef instead of veal schnitzels.
For the stroganoff sauce
- 4 veal schnitzels
- 2 big onions
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 250g chestnut mushrooms
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 50ml sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 50ml vodka
- 150ml beef bouillon
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 100ml whipping cream
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Cast Iron Grid, to a temperature of 200°C.
- Peel the onions and cut them into quarters. Halve the peppers, remove the stalks and the seeds and cut the flesh in half once again. Cut big mushrooms in quarters, those that are medium-sized in half and leave the small mushrooms as they are. Peel and finely chop the garlic.
- Spread the onion and peppers over the grid of the EGG and close the lid. Grill the onion all over and the peppers on both sides until soft and displaying a lovely grill stripe. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the EGG and place the Cast Iron Dutch Oven on the grid. Cut the peppers into strips and the onion into quarter rings.
- Heat the sunflower oil in the pan and briefly fry the finely chopped garlic. Add the mushrooms and roasted vegetables and mix in the tomato purée. Leave to fry for a couple of minutes and deglaze with the vodka. Pour the bouillon into the Dutch Oven, mix in the Worcestershire sauce and close the lid of the EGG.
- Wait until the contents of the pan are boiling and remove the Dutch Oven from the EGG. Remove the grid by using the Cast Iron Grid Lifter and place the convEGGtor. Place the stainless steel grid in the EGG with the Dutch Oven on top. Place the lid on the pan and close the lid of the EGG. Heat to 140°C and leave the Stroganoff sauce to gently simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Finally, stir in the whipping cream and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the pan from the EGG. Remove the grid and the convEGGtor from the EGG and replace the Cast Iron Grid. Heat to 200°C. The sauce will keep warm due to the superb heat retention properties of the cast iron Dutch Oven.
- Sprinkle the veal schnitzels with salt and pepper. Place the schnitzels on the grid and close the lid of the EGG. Turn the meat through 90 degrees after about 2 minutes and close the lid again. Turn the meat over after another 2 minutes and repeat the action to create a lovely grill pattern on both sides.
- Serve the Stroganoff with the schnitzels.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!