Walnut-beer bread from the Dutch Oven
This hearty bread can be baked in your Big Green Egg using the Dutch Oven! For this delicious bread, let the preferment rise in the refrigerator for 12 hours beforehand. The cold slows down the rising process, which allows the bread’s flavour to develop. After rising and rounding, you can bake the bread in your kamado first with the lid on the Dutch Oven. That will prevent the crust from forming too quickly. After 25 minutes, take the lid off the pan and peek to see what the bread will look like.
- 126 g honey beer, at room temperature
- 3.5 g fresh yeast
- 126 g wholemeal flour
- 574 g wholemeal flour
- 12.6 g fine salt
- 17.5 g fresh yeast
- 406 g honey beer
- 35 g walnut oil
- 21 g honey
- flour for dusting
- 280 g walnuts
- For the preferment, pour the honey beer into a plastic mixing bowl. Crumble the yeast over the bowl and stir to dissolve the yeast in the beer. Mix in the wholemeal flour, cover the bowl with cling film and place the preferment in the refrigerator for 12 hours.
- Take the bowl with the preferment out of the refrigerator, put it in the mixing bowl of your food processor along with all the ingredients for the dough except the flour for dusting, and use the dough hook to knead for 6-7 minutes to make a supple, elastic dough; of course, the dough can also be kneaded by hand. The dough is ready when you pull it apart and are able to pull off a tiny, thin layer. Finally, knead the walnuts into the dough for the filling. Place the dough in a bowl, cover with cling film and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Knead the air out of the dough for 30 minutes, shape into a ball on a floured surface and cover with cling film. Allow to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Press the air out of the dough, shape it back into a ball and place the dough in the Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Cover with cling film and allow the dough to rise further for about 60 minutes.
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid, to a temperature of 210°C.
- Remove the film from the dough. Use a sieve to lightly dust the top of the dough with flour and cut crosses into the dough using a sharp knife. Place the lid on the pan and place the Dutch Oven on the grid. Close the lid of the EGG and bake the bread for about 25 minutes.
- Take the lid off the Dutch Oven, close the lid of the EGG and bake the bread another 15 minutes or so until done and nice and brown.
- Remove the Dutch Oven from the EGG. Take the bread out of the Dutch Oven and let it cool on a rack.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?