You are, without a doubt, familiar with the magic of chocolate – and the magic of the Big Green Egg. So if you want to surprise your Valentine, just bake these delicious chocolate brioches in your EGG. The brioche is a classic French bread, and here we’ve added cocoa powder. The heart shapes and the silky soft chocolate cream filling make these brioches truly seductive.
- 50 g whole milk
- 30 g fresh yeast
- 50 g high-protein flour
- 450 g high-protein flour, plus extra for dusting
- 60 g fine granulated sugar
- 45 g cocoa powder
- 10 g fine salt
- 175 g fresh egg
- 90 g whole milk
- 15 g honey
- 125 g butter, at room temperature
- 75 g dried cranberries
- 450 g whole milk
- 100 g fine granulated sugar
- 40 g cornflour
- 80 g egg yolk
- 125 g dark chocolate (70-75%, callets or in chunks)
- 1 egg
- raspberries (optional)
- mint leaves (optional)
- For the preferment, heat the milk to a lukewarm temperature. Pour it into the mixing bowl of a food processor, crumble the yeast over the bowl and keep stirring to allow it to dissolve into the milk. Mix in the flour, cover the bowl with cling film and leave at room temperature for about 20 minutes to activate the yeast.
- After 20 minutes, add the ingredients for the dough, except for the butter, and use the food processor to knead the dough at medium speed for about 6-7 minutes to make a supple, elastic dough; of course, the dough can also be kneaded by hand. The dough is ready when you pull it apart and are able to pull off a tiny, thin layer. In the meantime, cut the butter into cubes.
- Add the butter to the bowl and turn the machine on; let it mix until it has all been combined. Finally, add the cranberries and wait until they have been mixed throughout the dough. Place the dough in a plastic bowl. Cover the bowl with cling film and allow the dough to rise for 30 minutes.
- Lightly dust your worktop with flour. Place the dough and push down to press out the air. Fold four corners of dough towards the centre, so as to form a kind of envelope. Then cover the dough with cling film again and let rise for another 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a worktop dusted with flour to about 1 cm thick, then dust with the flour. Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter (of about 12 cm) to cut out 8 hearts. Cover with cling film again and let rise for 60 minutes.
- In the meantime, for the chocolate cream, bring the milk to a boil in a small saucepan. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar and cornflour, then stir in the egg yolk to create a smooth mixture. Remove the saucepan with milk from the heat. Stir in the sugar mixture and bring to a boil. Once it’s started boiling, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the chocolate. Let the cream cool and spoon it into a piping bag.
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor, the Stainless Steel Grid and the Baking Stone, to a temperature of 200°C. Cut 2 circles of parchment paper with a slightly smaller diameter than the Baking Stone.
- Beat the egg and use it to carefully brush the dough hearts. Place the circle of parchment paper on the Baking Stone, place 4 dough hearts on it and close the lid of the EGG. Bake the chocolate brioches for 12-15 minutes until done.
- Remove the brioches from the EGG and leave to cool on a rack. Bake the remaining brioches in the same way.
- Cut the cooled brioches in half. Pipe the chocolate cream onto the bottom half, and cover that with the top half. If you want, decorate the chocolate brioches with raspberries and mint leaves.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?