You can play around with all kinds of variations on bread by using different kinds of flour, fillings and toppings. This bread, which you can bake in the Big Green Egg, has a delicious filling made of ginger, orange and raisins. After baking it in your kamado, top the bread with a honey-whisky glaze. And the finishing touch: some extra candied orange. Need we say more?
- 40 g lukewarm water
- 3 g fresh yeast
- 40 g high-protein flour
- 210 g high-protein flour
- 5 g fine salt
- 12 g fresh yeast
- 12 g cold butter
- 12 g honey
- 115 g lukewarm water
- 70 g grated candied ginger
- 70 g candied orange (orangeade)
- 70 g raisins
- 100 g honey
- 100 g whisky
- 2 tbsp candied orange (orangeade)
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- For the preferment, pour the lukewarm water into the mixing bowl of a food processor, crumble the yeast over the bowl and keep stirring to allow it to dissolve into the water. Mix in the flour, cover the bowl with cling film and leave to rise for about 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, add the ingredients for the dough and use a dough hook on the food processor to knead the dough at medium speed for about 6-7 minutes to make a supple, elastic dough; of course, the dough can also be kneaded by hand. The dough is ready when you pull it apart and are able to pull off a tiny, thin layer.
- Add all the ingredients for the filling and leave the machine on until the ingredients are all thoroughly mixed into the dough. Cover the bowl with cling film and allow the dough to rise for about 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal portions and ball them up into pointed rolls. Place them on their sides on your worktop, cover with a clean, slightly moistened tea towel and let rise for 50 minutes.
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and use the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid to heat to a temperature of 210°C.
- Place the Baking Stone on the grid. Place the unbaked loaves on their sides on the Baking Stone and make an incision along the side lengthwise with a sharp knife. Close the lid of the EGG; placing the Baking Stone will decrease the temperature to about 190°C. Bake the loaves for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and cooked.
- Remove the loaves from the EGG and leave to cool on a rack. In the meantime, remove the Baking Stone from the EGG. For the glaze, mix the honey and whisky in the Cast Iron Sauce Pot, then place the pot on a grid and close the lid of the EGG. Bring to the boil and allow to reduce until it is nice and thick.
- Coat the loaves with the honey-whisky mixture and top with the candied orange.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?