Steamed and smoked mackerel
In this recipe we will prepare fresh mackerel by steaming and smoking the fish. When you buy hot-smoked mackerel, it is also steamed, although smoke is also involved in the cooking process. And of course you can do that yourself on your Big Green Egg!
- 4 fresh mackerels, cleaned
- fine kitchen salt
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Wash the mackerels under a running tap and pat them dry. Sprinkle the insides of the fish with salt and leave them covered in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Fill the Big Green Egg to about 10 cm under the fire ring with charcoal. Put 3 starters in a triangle, approximately 12-15 cm apart and light them. Leave the lid open until the centre of the charcoal is glowing but still black on the outside. This makes the temperature in the EGG high enough for the water to boil, but it does not get too hot. The ideal temperature is between 100-110˚C. Meanwhile, soak a handful of Pecan Wood Chips in water.
- Place the mackerels on the Perforated Cooking Grid Round. Place the rack of the 2-Piece Multi Level Rack of the EGGspander Kit with the ring upwards in the Big Green Egg and place the accompanying small rack in the lower holder (low-level ‘Cowboy Style’ grill setting), right above the glowing charcoal. Place the Disposable Drip Pan on the grid, close the lid of your EGG and bring it to the correct temperature. Meanwhile, bring about 3 dl of water to the boil.
- Briefly lift the Drip Pan and sprinkle the soaked Wood Chips over the charcoal. Put the Drip Pan back and gently pour a layer of the boiling water into it. Place the 2 Stainless Steel Half Grids of the EGGspander Kit (or the Stainless Steel Grid) and place the Perforated Cooking Grid with the mackerels on it. Close the lid of the EGG and steam the mackerels in 25-30 minutes until they have a nice smoky flavour. Ensure that the temperature remains between 100-110˚ C.
- Remove the mackerels from the EGG and process them however you like.
Don’t have an EGGspander Kit (yet)? Then place the convEGGtor to place your Drip Pan on.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!