Asian chicken soup with coconut milk
If you like making your own fresh chicken soup, this recipe is too good to miss. It is a very healthy soup made from organic chicken, coconut milk, vegetables, Oriental spices and, of course, chicken stock. Roasting the chicken in advance gives the soup an extra flavour boost, which is just what we want!
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 (banana) shallots
- 2 cm fresh ginger
- 1½ red chilli pepper
- 3 medium carrots (yellow, purple and orange)
- 2 stalks of lemongrass
- 1 organic chicken (900-1200 g)
- olive oil
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 limes
- 1 l chicken stock
- 1 tin of coconut milk (400 ml)
- 75 g sugar snaps
- 75 g shiitake mushrooms
- 30 g shimeji mushrooms
- 2 spring onions
- 50 g bean sprouts
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Place the Stainless Steel Grid in the Big Green Egg, ignite the charcoal and heat to a temperature of 190°C.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic and the (banana) shallots. Peel the ginger and chop finely. Cut the red chilli pepper into thin rings. Peel the carrots and cut into cubes. Using the back of a chef’s knife, bruise the lemongrass stalks in 5 or 6 places.
- Brush the chicken with olive oil and sprinkle all over with pepper, salt and the smoked paprika. Place the chicken on the Vertical Poultry Roaster. Cut 1 lime in half and stick one of the halves into the neck opening of the chicken.
- Heat the Cast Iron Dutch Oven on the grid and pour a generous splash of olive oil into the pan.
- Add the garlic, shallots, ginger and red chilli pepper and fry briefly. Stir in the cubed carrot and the lemongrass and fry for several minutes, stirring continuously.
- Place the poultry stand with the chicken in the middle of the pan and pour in about 300 ml of the chicken stock. Close the lid of the EGG and leave the chicken to cook for 40-50 minutes. Check from time to time whether there is still enough stock in the pan and top up if necessary.
- Pour in the rest of the chicken stock and the coconut milk and add the sugar snaps and the shiitake and shimeji mushrooms. Close the lid of the EGG and leave to cook for another 10 minutes or so. Meanwhile, cut the spring onions into rings and cut the second lime in half.
- Lift the pan out of the EGG and remove the poultry stand. Place the lid on the pan and lift the chicken off the stand. Cut and/or pull the chicken into pieces.
- Add the chicken and the beansprouts to the soup and squeeze over lime juice to taste
- Spoon the soup into the bowls and sprinkle with the spring onions.
If you have a very large chicken, you could precook it for thirty minutes on the poultry stand on the grid, then remove it from the EGG and follow the recipe as described above.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!