Cedar-wood smoked salmon from the Big Green Egg
Using a cedar wood plank is a great way to smoke fish, such as salmon fillet, to perfection on the Big Green Egg. It will not only give the salmon steak a subtle smoky flavour, you can also use it as a serving dish. It is very easy to prepare a salmon steak on the Big Green Egg. In this recipe, we first brine the salmon, which will make it exceptionally juicy. The combination of fennel and tarragon will add some extra flavour. Complete this smoked salmon recipe with grilled brioche rolls.
For the salmon
- 2 salmon fillets, skin on, 300 g each
- 1 fennel
- 20 g tarragon
- 8 brioche rolls
For the salt brine
- 25 g salt
- 2 strips of orange peel
- 10 peppercorns
- 2 sprigs of thyme
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Dissolve the salt in a half litre of lukewarm water to prepare the salt brine and add the strips of orange peel, peppercorns and thyme. Pour the salt brine in a square or rectangular dish (to which you will add the salmon fillets at a later stage) and leave to cool.
- Add the salmon fillets to the dish containing the salt brine, place it in the refrigerator and leave to soak for 2 hours. Also soak the Wooden Grilling Planks for 2 hours in a container of water.
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid, to 150°C. Cut the fennel into very thin slices using either a mandolin or food processor. Finely chop the tarragon and mix with the fennel. Remove the salmon from the salt brine and take the Wooden Grilling Planks out of the water. Pat the salmon fillets dry using paper towels and place each on a plank, skin-side down.
- Spread the fennel mixture over the salmon fillets and place the planks on the grid. Close the lid of the EGG and allow the fillets to cook for around 20 minutes until done. It’s fine if the salmon looks slightly translucent at this stage.
- Remove the planks with the salmon from the grid. Place the Half Moon Plancha Griddle on the grid and close the lid of the EGG allowing it to heat up. Halve the brioche rolls and grill for several minutes on the cut side.
- Place the planks with the salmon fillets on a serving board and serve with the grilled brioche rolls.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!