Vegetarian tortilla with sweet potato and spinach
So much variation is possible with Spanish tortillas. You are probably used to making them with meat, but a vegetarian tortilla is equally delicious. This recipe uses sweet potatoes as a basis. With the addition of extra flavours and fresh spinach, this is a sumptuous one-pan vegetarian meal.
For the vegetarian tortilla
- 2 onions
- 3 small sweet potatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 250g fresh spinach
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 8 eggs
- 175ml olive oil
- grated semi-mature cheese to taste
PREPARATION IN ADVANCE
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the grid, to 180-190°C.
- Meanwhile peel the onions and cut into rings. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into thin slices. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Pour a litre of boiling water over the spinach and leave to drain in a colander. Rinse with cold water and squeeze out the moisture. Beat the eggs, adding salt to taste.
- Place the Cast Iron Skillet on the grid of the Big Green Egg and heat 100ml of the olive oil in it. Add the onion rings, close the lid of the EGG and bring the temperature back to 140°C. Leave the onion to caramelise for 8-10 minutes.
- Pour the remaining olive oil into the skillet and add the potato slices, the garlic and the garam masala. Close the lid of the EGG, stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking.
- Remove the skillet from the EGG after 8-10 minutes when the potato slices are soft. Spoon the potato mixture into a colander and leave to cool slightly.
- Stir the potato mixture and the spinach carefully into the beaten eggs. Reheat the skillet on the grid and pour in the potato and spinach mixture.
- Place the Cast Iron Plancha Griddle on the skillet as a lid and close the lid of the EGG. Leave the tortilla to cook for approximately 10 minutes until the top is congealed.
- Flip the tortilla by placing a large plate on the skillet and turning everything over in one smooth motion. Replace the skillet on the grid and slide the tortilla from the plate into the skillet. Place the Cast Iron Plancha Griddle back on the skillet and leave the tortilla to cook for another 10-15 minutes until it is completely congealed.
- Cut into wedges, plate up and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!