Banana bread with coconut
This Big Green Egg banana bread is more like a banana cake and it serves well as dessert, or as a treat with a cup of coffee. You can serve it warm or at room temperature. Adding coconut to the banana bread batter gives the recipe a Caribbean touch.
For the banana bread
- 3 to 4 bananas (300 g of banana without peel) + 1 extra to serve as slices
- 200 g butter + extra for greasing the tin
- 200 g white caster sugar
- 5 eggs
- 200 g flour + extra for sprinkling
- 75 g ground almonds
- 100 g grated coconut
- 250 g quark
- 50 g coconut chips
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat with the convEGGtor, the Stainless Steel Grid and the Baking Stone to 200°C.
- In the meantime, peel the bananas and halve them lengthwise. Dice and mash the banana flesh. Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat on the cooker. The butter must not get too hot.
- Poor the butter in the bowl of a food processor, mount a flat mixing hook, add the caster sugar and switch on the machine. First add the eggs, then the mashed banana, flour, ground almonds, grated coconut and a pinch of salt, and mix it into a smooth batter.
- Grease a 1.5 L cake tin with butter, dust with flour. Turn it around and knock the excess flour out of the tin. Pour the batter in the tin.
- Place the tin on the grid, close the lid of the EGG and bake the bread for about 40 minutes until golden brown. Stick a wooden skewer into the bread, right to the centre, to check whether it is done. If the skewer comes out clean, the banana bread is done. If not, return the cake tin to the EGG for 10 more minutes and check again.
- Remove the cake tin from the EGG and leave to cool for a bit. Flip the tin around on a chopping board to remove the banana bread. Cut into slices. Serve warm or cooled with a spoonful of quark, the coconut chips and the banana slices.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!