Vegetarian salad with couscous and grilled vegetables
You can easily turn a simple couscous salad into something special by adding grilled vegetables. The result is a surprisingly delicious vegetarian salad that can be served as lunch or dinner. And the croutons? Those you prepare on the Big Green Egg, obviously!
For the vegetarian salad
- 250 g couscous (optional; with sundried tomatoes)
- 1 focaccia of 300 g
- 8 tbsp olive oil
- 300 g small vine tomatoes
- 6 heads of little gem lettuce
- 3 avocados
- 200 g bimi or broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seed oil
- 150 g black olives, pitted
- 2 nori (seaweed) sheets
- sea salt
- Ignite the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the Cast Iron Grid, to a temperature of 230°C. Scatter the couscous in a bowl and drizzle with 5 tablespoons of the olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt to taste and add enough boiling water that the couscous is submerged under a half centimetre of water. Cover the bowl and leave for at least 15 minutes.
- Cut the focaccia into slices of approx. 2.5 cm thick and cut these into cubes. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt to taste. Pluck the tomatoes from the vine.
- Place the Grill Wok on the EGG’s grid. Add the focaccia cubes and close the lid of the EGG. Stir them regularly and bake them for about 15 minutes until crispy.
- Remove the focaccia croutons from the wok. Remove the Cast Iron Grid from the EGG using the Cast Iron Grid Lifter and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of Cherry Wood Chips over the glowing charcoal. Replace the grid, place the Grill Wok on it and add the tomatoes. Close the lid of the EGG and smoke the tomatoes for approx. 10 minutes. Stir them regularly.
- Meanwhile, halve the heads of little gem lettuce and the avocados lengthwise. Remove the pit, cut each avocado half into four sections without removing the peel. Place the bimi (or broccoli), the little gem lettuce and the avocado portions on the grid and close the lid of the EGG. Grill the vegetables and the avocado for approx. 2.5 minutes, turn them over and grill for another 2.5 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables and the avocado from the EGG. Again halve the little gem lettuce lengthwise and remove the avocado peel. Put everything in a large bowl, drizzle with red-wine vinegar and the pumpkin seed oil and gently mix. Loosen the couscous with a fork and mix it with the vegetables and avocado, adding the olives and focaccia croutons. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the nori sheets on the grid of the EGG and grill on both sides for just a few seconds until crispy. Break them into pieces and sprinkle over the salad. Serve the salad lukewarm.
You can also leave all ingredients to cool separately, after which you gently mix them to then serve the salad cold (only mix in the croutons and nori pieces right before serving). Store the salad covered in the fridge and bring to room temperature before serving.
If you would like to receive your dose of inspiration by e-mail, then register for our monthly newsletter Inspiration Today and add some more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the most delicious recipes, inspiring seasonal menus, practical tips and much, much more!