Have you ever made smoked mackerel in your Big Green Egg? Then it’s high time you try making this delicious roasted mackerel in your kamado as well. It’s quick and easy to prepare and the taste is surprisingly delicious. A tasty, healthy recipe for a busy weekday, but also for a lazy Sunday!
- 3 raw mackerel
- ½ bulb fresh garlic
- ½ organic lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 3 sprigs of rosemary
- Light the charcoal in the Big Green Egg and heat, with the convEGGtor and the Stainless Steel Grid, to a temperature of 200°C.
- Slice open the belly of each mackerel and remove the entrails. Rinse the abdominal cavity and the outside of the mackerel well under cold running water and pat them dry. Make about 6 to 8 incisions in each side of the mackerel.
- Cut the garlic and the lemon into chunks.
- Rub the skin of each mackerel with olive oil and sprinkle them with fine sea salt and white pepper to taste. Lay the mackerel on top of the Half Perforated Grid and lay the sprigs of thyme and rosemary, the garlic and lemon chunks between the mackerel.
- Place the Perforated Grid on top of the grid and close the lid of the EGG. Allow the mackerel to roast for about 15 minutes or so until they have reached a core temperature of 65 °C; you can measure this with the Instant Read Thermometer.
- Remove the mackerel from the Big Green Egg. Tuck in and serve with garnish of your choice or use the mackerel in a meal of your choice.
Tastes good with antiboise or a fresh-tasting mayonnaise.
If you’d like to receive the most delicious recipes by email, register for our newsletter ‘Inspiration Today’ and add more flavour to your inbox. That’s all you have to do to receive the latest news about events, recipes especially for your EGG, practical tips and much, much more!
THE BIG GREEN EGG COMMUNITY
Let yourself be inspired and learn to do more with your Big Green Egg! Submerge yourself in a world full of culinary possibilities. Ask your questions and share your experiences via Facebook (biggreeneggeu) and Instagram (biggreeneggeu). Tag @biggreeneggeu, use the hashtags #TheEvergreen and #forevergreen and get featured! We create beautiful memories. Are you in?